Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
capri capri is offline

Default Word could not reestalish a DDE connection to ACCESS DB

Hi there

I have been trying to solve a problem ... I can not seem to solve these
problem and I have tried several things.

I have a user that needs to do a mail merge in word using ACCESS DB The
user clicks on any letter set up in a standard letter draft folder ( this is
the normal folder containing all the team letters -the team use to send out
for business correspondence).

However when this particular user clicks on any letter to open up in word
she gets this error message

' word could not re-establish a DDE connection to MS to complete the current
task'.

I have tried troubleshooting this from several angles,so far what I have
done so far:

Because it is asking for DDE connection and I can't seem to figure out why
it is not working (I did not design the db nor set up the whole stuff) I
decided to use a DSN connection to make it work so I :

I have create a DSN ( a user DSN in adminstrative tools - data source -user
DSN ) adding the access database - IQE and tried in word to access this
source but it still comes up with it cannot find the datasource and further
clicks it come up with cannot find the path to the data source

\\grcdental02\dental1\......\iqe.mdb cannot be found/

I have checked the path and this is the correct path to the access database.

(also done)....In word tools -option - general tab- tick confirm conversion
at open''

( also done) ...In access have made sure that in the open dialogue box that
there is no tick in the exclusive box.

I have asked the user to log out back in after making some changes... to no
avail

Another problem is now it keeps telling me that program files/ODBC /data
source cannot be found in the program files ....I have added the datasource
IQE access db in this folder still no avail.

Also now it is coming up with a dialogue box with only OLEDB, however i
click in the tick box in this dialogue box to access the DSN ( datasource)
seleted ... I select IQE which is the datasource , even gone as far as
selecting just access 97 as datasource BUT still comes up with ' word could
not re-establish a DDE connection to MS to complete the current task'.

Does anyone pls know what I can do so solve this problem ...pls or what I am
missing. or any other suggestions or a way to get mail merge to work for her

Other users have no problems though... she just started two weeks ago and we
have given her the set up we give new starters.

this is in access 97

Many Thanks in Advance
capri