Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle Craig Michelle Craig is offline

Default Using MERGEFIELD "If-then-else" with part of a string

I have a question that may have an answer already, but I'm not sure if it's
the same thing. I am extracting a file from an Oracle database that contains
a number of fields. This file is a csv with a .txt extension (as the extract
process does not give the option of creating a file with a .csv extension).
One of the fields is CHKL, which includes a concatenated list of checklist
items that is separated by spaces. For example, the checklist items for a
particular person might include the text "$30 Application Fee(space)GRE
Scores(space)Letter of Reference", etc.

What the end-user wants is to have text show in the merged document that
specifically references the application fee ONLY IF the record has that text
in the CHKL field. It is easy to do this in SQL with a "contains" in a WHERE
clause. Unfortunately, Word 2003 doesn't let you do this.

If anyone has any ideas on how I might accomplish this, I would greatly
appreciate it. At this point, the merge document just has text pertaining to
the application fee whether or not the CHKL field contains that item or not.
They can live with this for the "go-live", but it would be nice and elegant
to be able to do it right.

Thanks so much,
--
Michelle Craig