Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MaryL MaryL is offline

Default Two related questions concerning newsletter format

I have two more questions concerning the church newsletter I am trying to
format. I'm a newbie to Word (but a long-time user of WordPerfect), so I am
familiar with creating documents - including some complex documents - but am
not at all familiar with Word features. I like some parts of the newsletter
that was previously used, so decided to try to modify that. It is set in
three columns. The first column on the first page is shaded and includes a
type of index to the newsletter. The title of the newsletter spans the next
two columns.

I scanned a drawing of the church and inserted it above the second two
columns. That was successful and looks good. The problems I am having are
these:

(1) On the last page, text continues to be divided into three columns, even
if there is only a small amount of text. This looks like what WordPerfect
called balanced newspaper, or possibly parallel, columns. Instead, I would
like for the column to extend down the page because the current setting is
breaking a single paragraph into three columns if the text for the newspaper
does not fill the page. Is there any correction I can make for this? I have
not found any way to indicate the *type* of columns wanted in Word.

(2) As a WP user, I am used to Reveal Codes. Is there any way in Word to get
an indication of what codes are being used? I have tried Show, but it only
seems to indicate paragraphs and section/page breaks. I don't see any
reference that even shows the beginning of column settings, and certainly
not to types.

Incidentally, I bought two Office manuals. Neither helped with these
questions, and I did not find the answer in the help files. The manuals put
more emphasis on using columns within tables, and that is not what I need.

Thanks for any help you can provide. This is my third time to request
information, and this group has been very responsive. I really appreciate
it.

MaryL