Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
external usenet poster

Default Word Prompts to Save Normal.dot

I have the problem described in the Subject line, and none of the published solutions I have read solve this problem.

I have Office 2002 running on Windows XP Home SP 3, and Word prompts me to save changes to the Normal.dot template every time I close the program.

I have no third-party add-ins that affect Word:

* All users' Word startup folders are empty.
* My Office startup folder is empty.
* There are no COM Add-ins. (The COM Add-Ins dialog box is empty.)
* There are no 'auto' macros - no macros of any kind, actually - and starting Word by holding down the Shift key does not solve the problem.
* I set macro security to Medium, restarted Word, and was not prompted to enable or disable macros. No surprise, really, since the Trusted Publishers tab is empty.
* Aside from Normal.dot itself, the only other .dot files I have are what comes with Word. No .wll files.
* I do not use Smart Tags (all Smart Tag options turned off), however, the Microsoft Shared\Smart Tags folder is not empty - there are files in it.

I never had the Works Suite add-in, and while I have not used Norton software for 3 years, I searched for the OFFICEAV.DLL file anyway. It was not present.

Finally, I scanned for macro viruses - for all types of malware, actually - and came up clean.

I have only 2 possible clues to offer you:

\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Addins does contain files
-and-
The behavior only manifests in the Limited User account, which may indicate something to do with permissions. Or perhaps there's something about the Limited User's normal.dot that isn't the same as the Administrator's normal.dot.

How can I finally get Word to stop prompting me to save Normal.dot? Thanks for your help.

Daddy