Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
drgn75

Default Networking macros

I know this has been answered before, but I'm looking for more clarification.
Why is Word set up this way, why can't the macro's just be part of the file
(like Excel)? When you create a macro in Excel it follows the file,
regardless of what computer it is on. Why isn't Word the same, or can you
have the macro attached to the file regardless of computer or user? Not sure
what benefits there are to have it exclusively this way.

Thanks for any reply.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yappy Box

Default New to Newsgroups

TO DRGN75

I am new to Newsgroups and after signing in I wanted to make a new post so I
thought I had to click on New, selecting "Question" BUT NOTHING HAPPENED.

There was no new menu with Subject, Message etc.

I haven't worked out how to make a new post and ask a question. The only
solution I could find (and I apologise for this) was to enter my question in
this Post. Please forgive me and could someone put me in the right track.
Many Thanks.

Yappy Box
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can save macros in a document or the document template, but by default
they're saved in Normal.dot. You have to specifically change the storage
location ("Store macro in" if you're recording one or "Macros in" if you're
using Tools | Macro | Macros: Create.

"drgn75" wrote in message
I know this has been answered before, but I'm looking for more

clarification.
Why is Word set up this way, why can't the macro's just be part of the

file
(like Excel)? When you create a macro in Excel it follows the file,
regardless of what computer it is on. Why isn't Word the same, or can you
have the macro attached to the file regardless of computer or user? Not

sure
what benefits there are to have it exclusively this way.

Thanks for any reply.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

As Suzanne says the macros can be saved with the document, but this requires
the use of low macro security to eliminate the security warning messages you
will get when the document is opened. Third parties with any sense are not
going to have this setting and are not going to allow such macros to run.
Macros are best stored in templates.

drgn75 wrote:
I know this has been answered before, but I'm looking for more
clarification. Why is Word set up this way, why can't the macro's
just be part of the file (like Excel)? When you create a macro in
Excel it follows the file, regardless of what computer it is on. Why
isn't Word the same, or can you have the macro attached to the file
regardless of computer or user? Not sure what benefits there are to
have it exclusively this way.

Thanks for any reply.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

As Suzanne and Graham have said, you _can_ have your macros in a Word
document in just the same way as you can have them in an Excel Workbook.

Equally you can have your macros in your Personal.xls in Excel in the same
way as you can have them in your Normal.dot in Word, and both applications
have similar facilities for AddIns which can also hold code.

Word also offers the extra possibility of storing them in a Document
Template so that they are available to many documents. So, really, it is
Excel, rather than Word, that is deficient :-)

There is a difference in the default behaviours of the two regarding where
recorded macros are written, which perhaps gives the impression that they
work in different ways - but impression is all it is, really.

--
Enjoy,
Tony