Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RTucker

Default Defining Template Properties

I have created a Word 2003 template. I've saved it to the \Templates folder,
so it is appearing on the list of available templates when I click on
FILE-NEW... However, it displays the filename.dot under the icon, unlike the
Microsoft templates.

How/where do I place the "Template Name" that I want to display instead of
the filename?

--
RTucker
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Go to the Templates folder, right-click on it and rename it.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"RTucker" wrote:

I have created a Word 2003 template. I've saved it to the \Templates folder,
so it is appearing on the list of available templates when I click on
FILE-NEW... However, it displays the filename.dot under the icon, unlike the
Microsoft templates.

How/where do I place the "Template Name" that I want to display instead of
the filename?

--
RTucker

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RTucker

Changing the filename still leaves the '.dot" extension showing. Let me
rephrase my question:

Microsoft templates do not display the ".dot" extension in the list of
available templates, such as "Elegant Fax" or "Contemporary Letter", even
though the filenames are (of course) with a .dot extension. The templates I
create and save to the same \Templates folder as the MSFT templates are
listed as "Client Info Form.dot". I would like my templates to be listed as
"Client Info Form".

I tried placing "Client Info Form" as the document Title in the File
Properties. This did not solve the riddle.

--
RTucker, PMP

"RTucker" wrote:

I have created a Word 2003 template. I've saved it to the \Templates folder,
so it is appearing on the list of available templates when I click on
FILE-NEW... However, it displays the filename.dot under the icon, unlike the
Microsoft templates.

How/where do I place the "Template Name" that I want to display instead of
the filename?

--
RTucker

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Sorry I misunderstood you. When you saved your template did you select save
as template? I just looked in my Templates folder and it shows a .dot file
extension there but when I double click on one of them to open it doesn't
show any file extension. I'm sorry I wasn't more helpful to you. I'm sure
one of the MVP's will come along and give you the correct answer for you!
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"RTucker" wrote:

I have created a Word 2003 template. I've saved it to the \Templates folder,
so it is appearing on the list of available templates when I click on
FILE-NEW... However, it displays the filename.dot under the icon, unlike the
Microsoft templates.

How/where do I place the "Template Name" that I want to display instead of
the filename?

--
RTucker

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RTucker

I don't buy it. I have my Windows setting to show all file extensions. How
do the Microsoft template files "suppress" their extensions on my PC, but the
template files I create are not suppressed?

"Contemporary Letter.dot" has it's filename suppressed when I click FILE-NEW
TEMPLATE ON MY COMPUTER... using Word 2003. Either there is something within
the file that is suppressing the .dot extension, or the file is registered
somewhere (Windows Registry, or in a Word .ini file?).

Another question. How do I get my templates to appear in a tab other than
"General"? "Cont Letter.dot" and "Cont Memo.dot" are in the same folder, but
appear under different tabs.

--
RTucker, PMP

"RTucker" wrote in message
I have created a Word 2003 template. I've saved it to the \Templates

folder,
so it is appearing on the list of available templates when I click on
FILE-NEW... However, it displays the filename.dot under the icon, unlike

the
Microsoft templates.

How/where do I place the "Template Name" that I want to display instead of
the filename?

--
RTucker

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In addition to John's explanation about the non-file templates, see

€œHOW TO: Add a New Tab for Custom Templates in Word 2002€
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291468

and

€œFrequently Asked Questions About the Location of Templates in Word 2003€
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826867

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is not possible. The only way to change the display is to suppress
display of file extensions in Windows, which I don't recommend.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"RTucker" wrote in message
I have created a Word 2003 template. I've saved it to the \Templates

folder,
so it is appearing on the list of available templates when I click on
FILE-NEW... However, it displays the filename.dot under the icon,

unlike
the
Microsoft templates.

How/where do I place the "Template Name" that I want to display

instead of
the filename?

--
RTucker

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RTucker

The thread splits. Therefore, it looks like John's reply came before my
third post. It came after I posted my follow up question.

Richard

--
RTucker, PMP

"RTucker" wrote in message
I have created a Word 2003 template. I've saved it to the \Templates
folder,
so it is appearing on the list of available templates when I click on
FILE-NEW... However, it displays the filename.dot under the icon,
unlike
the
Microsoft templates.

How/where do I place the "Template Name" that I want to display instead
of
the filename?

--
RTucker

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

I think you are looking at Microsoft's fabled and mythical "Non-File
Templates".

The reason they display no file extension is that they don't exist at all:
they're hard-coded into Word. A stupid idea that causes no end of confusion
:-) I think you will find that if you make a change to one of the Microsoft
templates, the file will appear on your disk and the extension will appear
in your display.

So: The answer to your question is "remove the extension from the file
name". You don't want it, and neither Word nor Windows need it. Both Word
and Windows (since Windows 95...) identify files by looking inside for the
Type and Creator codes.

Just be careful if you email the template anywhe you may need to put the
..dot extension back before the recipient's email will correctly recognise
the file and enable them to access it.

cheers

On 28/3/06 6:24 AM, in article
, "RTucker"

rephrase my question:

Microsoft templates do not display the ".dot" extension in the list of
available templates, such as "Elegant Fax" or "Contemporary Letter", even
though the filenames are (of course) with a .dot extension. The templates I
create and save to the same \Templates folder as the MSFT templates are
listed as "Client Info Form.dot". I would like my templates to be listed as
"Client Info Form".

I tried placing "Client Info Form" as the document Title in the File
Properties. This did not solve the riddle.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

You can't change this, practically. You can change it so you don't see
extensions on any of your files, but you don't want to do that.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
Global/Master Template [email protected] New Users 1 October 27th 05 03:34 PM
Word template & custom properties Indy Microsoft Word Help 0 August 4th 05 02:01 AM
CPU Usage When Working with Templates you created KM1 Microsoft Word Help 3 May 21st 05 11:57 PM
Change the Normal template properties? Jackie Microsoft Word Help 1 February 24th 05 07:54 PM