Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Crissyb

Default How do I turn off Read-only - it's not checked in Tools Options

I have several Word documents that need editing. I open them up and at the
top the filename has (Read-only). I go to tools, options and there's no Read
Only checked in the SAVE tab.

I make changes, but when I go to save it under the same filename, I get the
message that it's a Read-Only file and it won't save it, so I have to save it
under a new name. This really has me stumped after decades in Word!!!
HELP!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Were these documents attachments in an e-mail? Did you save them before you
opened them to edit them?
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Crissyb" wrote:

I have several Word documents that need editing. I open them up and at the
top the filename has (Read-only). I go to tools, options and there's no Read
Only checked in the SAVE tab.

I make changes, but when I go to save it under the same filename, I get the
message that it's a Read-Only file and it won't save it, so I have to save it
under a new name. This really has me stumped after decades in Word!!!
HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is a Windows setting, or else the document is locked by temp files. In
the first instance, was the document copied back from a CD? If so, it will
be read-only by definition, and you'll have to change the setting in a
Windows Explorer window (right-click on the filename and clear the read-only
check box). If that's not the issue, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/DocInUse.htm

"Crissyb" wrote in message
I have several Word documents that need editing. I open them up and at the
top the filename has (Read-only). I go to tools, options and there's no

Read
Only checked in the SAVE tab.

I make changes, but when I go to save it under the same filename, I get

the
message that it's a Read-Only file and it won't save it, so I have to save

it
under a new name. This really has me stumped after decades in Word!!!
HELP!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Crissyb

Default How do I turn off Read-only - it's not checked in Tools Option

Hello,
They were sent from another site. The folder itself was protected with a
password, then inside were 80 individual word files that we need to edit to
put our site in the address. They all open up as Read-Only.

Worse case is I save them in a new folder with the same name, but we're
stumped and would like to find out how to turn off the Read -only, edit it,
then turn it back one.
Any suggestions?