Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
WORD Page Layout Abnomalies

Default How to I ensure proper page numbers are referenced in an indeX?

I'm using WORD 97 to generate a document that is complete but for the index.
When I insert an index I get associated page numbers that are presented on
the screen. However, when I print the document, the page layout is
different. For example, the index might reference an item on page 85, but
when printed the item shows up on page 83. I am using an epson stylus CX5400
printer. My page setup has margins set at 0.8" for all four sides of a page
(Mirror margins). the paper size is set for 8 1/2 x 11. I have used the
line and page break feature under the format-paragraph menu to keep items
together (e.g., figure title and the figure). Such a mis-referencing also
exists for the table of contents, but it is not a constant problem for the
TOC.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

Sounds like the index was generated/updated while field codes
and/or hidden text and/or tracked changes were displayed. The
index should be generated/updated while field codes and hidden
text are hidden, and while in Final view. Differences in page
numbers may also occur if you generate/update the index while a
printer other than your Epson Stylus CX5400 is the currently
selected or default printer, and then you subsequently view the
document while your CX5400 printer is the currently selected or
default printer.