Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
erik_gregory

Default Back End Modifications

Is there any way to modify a Word document through anything other than the
interface? I want to do cross referencing, for example, but I can't seem to
find the "back end" code to manipulate. Is this the Visual Basic interface?
Does Word have a "back end" (like we can modify HTML tags to have the page
display something else). Thanx for any info.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?ZXJpa19ncmVnb3J5?=,

Is there any way to modify a Word document through anything other than the
interface? I want to do cross referencing, for example, but I can't seem to
find the "back end" code to manipulate. Is this the Visual Basic interface?
Does Word have a "back end" (like we can modify HTML tags to have the page
display something else).

The only way you can manipulate the content of a Word document without opening
it in the Word application is to save it to a "plain text" file format. All
versions of Word support RTF. For Word 2000 and later the document can be
saved as a "webpage", which yields round-trip HTML. Word 2003 can save in a
native XML vocabulary - WordProcessingML - which was designed for exactly the
purpose you request. Starting with Word 2007, this will be the default file
format.

But in all cases the user must first have saved in this file format.

In the case of cross-referencing, it would probably be best to open Word in
the word interface, then use VBA (automation) to manipulate the file.
Cross-references are tricky things...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org