Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jetheat Jetheat is offline

Default How do I stop automatic character changing?

I have some text in MS Word 2003 and I'm placing a hyperlink to that text.

In the hyperlink, I have this: {--YourID--}
But when I go to re-edit this hyperlink, it has changed teh curly brackets
into
%7b--YourID--%7b

How do I stop it from changing the curly bracket characters into some other
code?

JH
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For hyperlinks to work, some characters have to be converted into their
hexadecimal equivalents. For example, spaces get converted into %20. When
you Ctrl+Click on the link, that part will be interpreted as {--YourID--}.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Jetheat" wrote in message
I have some text in MS Word 2003 and I'm placing a hyperlink to that text.

In the hyperlink, I have this: {--YourID--}
But when I go to re-edit this hyperlink, it has changed teh curly brackets
into
%7b--YourID--%7b

How do I stop it from changing the curly bracket characters into some
other
code?

JH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jetheat Jetheat is offline

Thanks for teh reply but is there any way around this limitation?

I need it to have curly brackets as I need to convert the document to pdf
and allow that tag to be modified.

I need to find a way around this.

JH
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There might be a work-around. Can you tell me exactly what the hyperlink
looks like? I assume it contains more than simply {--YourID--}; otherwise,
it isn't really a hyperlink. I assume this field begins with { hyperlink
and contains {--YourID--} in it, and possibly something else.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Jetheat" wrote in message
Thanks for teh reply but is there any way around this limitation?

I need it to have curly brackets as I need to convert the document to pdf
and allow that tag to be modified.

I need to find a way around this.

JH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jetheat Jetheat is offline

Yep, the entire url will be
http://webkept.com/cgi-bin/uam/x.cgi?a=r&id=1&aid={--YourID--}

Let me know what you come up with.

JH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think I'm back to not understanding what the problem is.

You want that URL to be reproduced exactly that way when the file is
converted to a PDF file? Us that correct?

Even though those characters are displayed in hex in Word's hyperlink dialog
box, I find that when I print the file to a PDF, they correctly display as
{ and } in the PDF, both in the text as well as in the displayed link when I
hover over the hyperlink. (They also display correctly in Word when I hover
the mouse over the link.)

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Jetheat" wrote in message
Yep, the entire url will be
http://webkept.com/cgi-bin/uam/x.cgi?a=r&id=1&aid={--YourID--}

Let me know what you come up with.

JH

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jetheat Jetheat is offline

On the contrary.

In Word, when I hover over it, it does show { and } but when I convert it to
PDF, it shows as %7b.

I have a plugin for converting to PDF from word through Adobe Acrobat 7
Professional. When I do it this way, it shows %7b but when I convert it using
Print to PDF, it doesn't even include the link at all. It just shows the
hyperlink to the web page because my anchor text is also a URL.

Is there a setting I'm missing?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm also using Acrobat 7 Professional. I always use Print to PDF (seems to
work faster and with less overhead). It might indeed be an Adobe issue,
since you're getting one result, and I'm getting another. Unfortunatley,
Adobe has more settings that you can shake a stick at, and some of them do
more than their description advertises. You might peruse its help file for
"hyperlinks" or "urls" to see what you come up with regarding settings.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Jetheat" wrote in message
On the contrary.

In Word, when I hover over it, it does show { and } but when I convert it
PDF, it shows as %7b.

I have a plugin for converting to PDF from word through Adobe Acrobat 7
Professional. When I do it this way, it shows %7b but when I convert it
using
Print to PDF, it doesn't even include the link at all. It just shows the
hyperlink to the web page because my anchor text is also a URL.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jetheat Jetheat is offline

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I've tried trawling for help but
there's too much info and I can't find what I need.

Thanks