Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
rcnj_robin rcnj_robin is offline

Default Can't Update Linked Letter in IF (If...Then...Else...) template

We have been using a template linking different letters via the
IF(If...Then..Else..) options. We insert files as links so when changes are
applied to files, they will automatically update in the template. It is not
applying these changes anymore...what went wrong. Example:
{IF{MERGEFIELD_ADMIT_CODE}"FE""{INCLUDETEXT"P:\\ Shared\\Letters\Letter_IEN.doc"\*MERGEFORMAT}"""}.
What is happening is Word is remembering the last Letter_IEN.doc, not the
updated one. I have tried relinking the letter and rebooting, but the Mail
Merge process keeps bringing the old Letter_IEN.doc. Help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi rcnj_robin,

It looks like your field coding is missing some important spaces between the
various arguments, and a required backslash in your INCLUDETEXT field. You
probably also don't need the '\*MERGEFORMAT' switch. Try:
{IF{MERGEFIELD_ADMIT_CODE}_"FE"_{INCLUDETEXT_"P: \\Shared\\Letters\\Letter_
IEN.doc"}_""}.
or
{IF{MERGEFIELD_ADMIT_CODE}=_"FE"_""_{INCLUDETEXT_" P:\\Shared\\Letters\\Lette
r_IEN.doc"}}.
where each of the underscores represents a space character.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]