Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jack_shipley jack_shipley is offline

Default Making single words or phrases Italic in protected doc

I have my styles protected in my word template, but how do I allow minor
edits such as Italic and Bold as needed? If I make a new style for those, it
changes the entire paragraph.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

There are paragraph styles and character styles, and you get to choose
which you want to define in Style Type field of the New Style dialog.
A character style can be applied to as little as a single character
without affecting the rest of the paragraph.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 13:41:02 -0800, jack_shipley
wrote:

I have my styles protected in my word template, but how do I allow minor
edits such as Italic and Bold as needed? If I make a new style for those, it
changes the entire paragraph.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Jack, can you clarify? I understood your original post to mean that
you had gone to the Protect Document task pane, checked the box for
"Limit formatting to a selection of styles", selected some set of
styles that are allowed, and clicked Start Enforcing Protection.

If that's the case, make sure you enable the Emphasis and Strong
styles, which are respectively italic and bold. Those styles can be
applied to any piece of text without affecting the whole paragraph.
That's because they're character styles, not paragraph styles.

If you need to enable other formatting, you can define your own
character styles. Click Format Styles and Formatting New Style. In
the dialog, give the style a name, and set the Style Type dropdown to
Character. Click the Format button at the bottom of the dialog, select
Font from the menu, and select whatever formatting you want. In the
Protect Document task pane, enable your new style.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.