Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott[_4_] Scott[_4_] is offline

Default variable page reference?

I have a document and within that document I want to put text that
says something like "See the example on page 6"

Which is all good until I do more edits and my example has slipped
from page 6 to say page 7 or 8.

Is there some way in MS-Word (I'm using 2003) to create a kind of
anchor link that will be updated automatically as the document is
edited so I won't have to keep going back or, worse, forgetting to
update the "see example" text?

Thanks!
Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BrianWren BrianWren is offline

At the point that you want to refer to, add a bookmark.

Then from the menu select InsertFieldLinks and ReferencesPage Ref.

You will see €śPAGEREF €ť. If your bookmark is SpecialTextPplace, turn that
into €śPAGEREF SpecialTextPplace€ť. The result will be the page number of the
bookmark at the point you put that field reference.

"Scott" wrote:

I have a document and within that document I want to put text that
says something like "See the example on page 6"

Which is all good until I do more edits and my example has slipped
from page 6 to say page 7 or 8.

Is there some way in MS-Word (I'm using 2003) to create a kind of
anchor link that will be updated automatically as the document is
edited so I won't have to keep going back or, worse, forgetting to
update the "see example" text?

Thanks!
Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

This is the Cross-Reference function, found under Insert, Reference,
Cross-Reference.
If where you want to cross reference to is not a Heading, Numbered Item,
Figure, Table, etc. Then first create a Bookmark at the point where you want
to reference (in your case the point on page 6). Bookmarks are created under
Insert, Bookmark.
Go to where you want the text Page 6, Select the 6, Insert Reference,
Cross-reference, Reference type - Bookmark, select the reference that you
have created, Insert Reference to: Page Number. You can also have
automatically the Above/Below statement, but I find this superfluous.
Now the reference will follow track where your bookmark is within the
document.
This does not refresh automatically, select the wholee document (Ctrl+A),
F9, to refresh all fields, including the TOCs.
This seems longwinded, but actually very quick. And as you can see, the
cross-reference dialog has many other options to track, which can be very
useful.
Hope this helps
DeanH