Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

Default Default settings

Hi everyone. In experimenting with the shortcut keys for special characters,
I have inadvertently overridden some shortcut keys for certain functions
(e.g. Ctrl+A to Select All). However, even when I delete the new shortcut
keys, I cannot get the preset shortcut keys to execute their previous
functions. Thus, instead of going on a wild-goose chase, I deemed it
advisable to restore Microsoft Word to its default settings. To that end, I
pose the following questions: (1) Do you think this would help me solve my
problem? (2) Can this be done with the installation CD?

Thank you kindly for your assistance.

John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

It can be done without the installation CD (in fact, it _can't_ be
done with the CD).

First, in My Computer (a.k.a. Windows Explorer), click Tools Folder
options View and select the option to display hidden folders and
files.

With Word shut down, go to C:\Documents and Settings\your
name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates. Rename the Normal.dot
template (or, for Word 2007, Normal.dotm) to Normal.old.

Now restart Word, which will create a new Normal.dot template with the
factory default settings, including keyboard shortcuts.

If you had other customizations in the old template that you want to
keep (new or modified styles, AutoText, macros, toolbars), go to Tools
Templates & Add-ins Organizer and copy them from Normal.old to

Normal.dot.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John John is offline

You should be called Jay "the Genius" Freedman. Your recommendation worked
like a charm. Thanks.

John

wrote:

Hi everyone. In experimenting with the shortcut keys for special
characters,
I have inadvertently overridden some shortcut keys for certain functions
(e.g. Ctrl+A to Select All). However, even when I delete the new shortcut
keys, I cannot get the preset shortcut keys to execute their previous
functions. Thus, instead of going on a wild-goose chase, I deemed it
advisable to restore Microsoft Word to its default settings. To that end,
pose the following questions: (1) Do you think this would help me solve my
problem? (2) Can this be done with the installation CD?

Thank you kindly for your assistance.

John

--
Regards,