Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Dan is offline

Default Random Changes in Styles

I am using Word 2007 and have been using Styles quite a bit lately. However
styles seem to be very buggy. Setting seem to change on there own all the
time. I am an advanced computer user and I know that i am not making the
changes myself. I am the only user on the computer as well.

The latest is that all of the default styles have decided that they want to
be centered. So all of the headings, the body text, etc. have decided that
they want to be centered. It is quite a pain that every time I create a new
document, i have to modidy every style that I use so that it doesn't center
everything.

Is there a way to reset all of the default styles back to their defaults?
And am I the only one seeing these erratic behaviors with the styles?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Dan is offline

That would explain one or two styles changing, but not all. And it also
wouldn't explain why it changed them all for the default styles (new
documents).

Thanks for the information though.

"dan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Dan is offline

OK,

That makes sense. But what could i have done that would have made them all
change to centered. And how can I change them back?

Thanks for your help.

"dan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, you can start by making sure that none of the styles are set to update
automatically. Beyond that, you can either drop back to an earlier version
of the document or go back and modify the styles as required.

"dan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Dan is offline

Right. But is there any way to just reset all of the default styles back to
the way they were when I first installed. The styles are all messed up even
for "new" documents, so going back to an earlier version is not an option.

Thanks again.
Dan

"dan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you want to revert to Word's default Normal.dot styles, you can reattach
the Normal template with "Automatically update styles" checked. If the
styles have been changed in Normal.dot, you can revert to the factory
default by renaming Normal.dot; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm for instructions.