Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default typing Vietnamese

My document is entirely in Gentium, but when I use the Vietnamese IME
and on-screen Vietnamese keyboard, the letters are entered in Times
New Roman. Why is this?

(Gentium does not appear as an option in Styles Modify Fonts
Asian script font or Complex script font.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Grammatim,

The 2005 Gentium font included only Latin based Unicode ranges for using the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) glyphs.
http://sil.org/computing/catalog/sho...=cat&name=Font
The code pages listed in the font properties do not include Vietnamese, so as a guess, as it's a serif font, Windows font
substitution may be choosing Times New Roman which does support code page 1258 (Vietnamese).

If you have Asian and Complex languages enabled in Word then in the Font dialog the drop down of choices for setting the default
Asian and Complex script fonts list the fonts that are reporting to Windows that they support the necessary code pages.

===============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I donwloaded Gentium anew the other day (having had to reinstall
Windows and Office recently), so it's the latest version; but it has
had the IPA+, Greek, Cyrillic, and Vietnamese in all the right places
for as long as I've known about it. And of course the TNR characters
convert to Gentium without difficulty.

Maybe I should simply change my Complex Script font to Tahoma so that
the wrong-font is more easily noticed.

*http://sil.org/computing/catalog/sho...asp?by=cat&nam...
[...]

* *Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default typing characters with shortcuts, was typing Vietnamese

It's gotten worse. Last night I had the opportunity to re-insert lots
of keyboard shortcuts into my normal.dot, for ordinary accented
letters of various kinds, and the shortcuts worked fine. When I closed
for the night, Word asked me if I wanted to save my "new normal file."
It had never asked that before, and who knows what it might mean, so I
said no.

Today, all my keyboard shortcuts (including ones I had installed
before yesterday) were gone, so I've started reprogramming them.

But now, _some_ of them are inserting quite ordinary letters -- a-with-
macron, for instance -- in the Asian scripts font (SimSun, or some
such; I changed it in the style to Arial to make it clearer), and
others of them -- i-with-macron, for instance -- in the text font
(still Gentium). I am not aware that I did anything different in
entering or assigning the two shortcuts.

How can this be?