Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chatelaine Chatelaine is offline

Default File Conversion Dialog Box

I open a Word file and get a dialog box asking me what language do I want to
read the document in? The file was created in English, and now it's
gobbledy-gook. I select Western European and U.S. options, on the drop-down
menu, but can't get my file back to English. Word help tells me
toolsoptionsgeneralhide file conversion dialog box, or something similar.
I can't follow the path IWord help gives me, so I experiment with trying to
set the language setting, which BTW is already in English. I have Win XP
SP2, MS Office 2003 Student-Teacher Edition. Is the Word file corrupt? Can
I get it back? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The only times I get this dialog are when I open Word 2007 documents in Word
2003 (with the converter present obviously) and the document is based on a
Word 2007 template. The converter presents the encoding dialog box and none
of the choices are valid or make the text in the box readable. However, if I
accept Windows Default the document opens normally, albeit with a couple of
error messages concerning the conversion process and incompatible elements.

Try opening a copy of the document and accept the defaults.

Chatelaine wrote:
I open a Word file and get a dialog box asking me what language do I
want to read the document in? The file was created in English, and
now it's gobbledy-gook. I select Western European and U.S. options,
on the drop-down menu, but can't get my file back to English. Word
help tells me toolsoptionsgeneralhide file conversion dialog box,
or something similar. I can't follow the path IWord help gives me, so
I experiment with trying to set the language setting, which BTW is
already in English. I have Win XP SP2, MS Office 2003
Student-Teacher Edition. Is the Word file corrupt? Can I get it
back? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chatelaine Chatelaine is offline

I did as you suggested: made a copy of the file, and accepted the defaults,
but it still does not read in English. The last thing I did with this file,
when it was still in English, was to export it to InDesign CS2, using the
place command. Is this maybe the reason it doesn't read correctly, now?

Chatelaine wrote:
I open a Word file and get a dialog box asking me what language do I
want to read the document in? The file was created in English, and
now it's gobbledy-gook. I select Western European and U.S. options,
on the drop-down menu, but can't get my file back to English. Word
help tells me toolsoptionsgeneralhide file conversion dialog box,
or something similar. I can't follow the path IWord help gives me, so
I experiment with trying to set the language setting, which BTW is
already in English. I have Win XP SP2, MS Office 2003
Student-Teacher Edition. Is the Word file corrupt? Can I get it
back? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Frankly I can't see why InDesign should have affected it. It sounds as
though the file is corrupt

Chatelaine wrote:
I open a Word file and get a dialog box asking me what language do I
want to read the document in? The file was created in English, and
now it's gobbledy-gook. I select Western European and U.S.
options, on the drop-down menu, but can't get my file back to
English. Word help tells me toolsoptionsgeneralhide file
conversion dialog box, or something similar. I can't follow the
path IWord help gives me, so I experiment with trying to set the
language setting, which BTW is already in English. I have Win XP
SP2, MS Office 2003 Student-Teacher Edition. Is the Word file
corrupt? Can I get it back? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It has been suggested that you can use the Word Processor in OpenOffice to
'repair' corrupt Word Doc files. Whether this will fix your file is another
matter, but it is free to install and *may* help.

Chatelaine wrote:
I open a Word file and get a dialog box asking me what language do
I want to read the document in? The file was created in English,
and now it's gobbledy-gook. I select Western European and U.S.
options, on the drop-down menu, but can't get my file back to
English. Word help tells me toolsoptionsgeneralhide file
conversion dialog box, or something similar. I can't follow the
path IWord help gives me, so I experiment with trying to set the
language setting, which BTW is already in English. I have Win XP
SP2, MS Office 2003 Student-Teacher Edition. Is the Word file
corrupt? Can I get it back? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kymberly4u kymberly4u is offline

"Chatelaine" wrote:

I open a Word file and get a dialog box asking me what language do I want to
read the document in? The file was created in English, and now it's
gobbledy-gook. I select Western European and U.S. options, on the drop-down
menu, but can't get my file back to English. Word help tells me
toolsoptionsgeneralhide file conversion dialog box, or something similar.
I can't follow the path IWord help gives me, so I experiment with trying to
set the language setting, which BTW is already in English. I have Win XP
SP2, MS Office 2003 Student-Teacher Edition. Is the Word file corrupt? Can
I get it back? Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'm having pretty much the same problem here I cant view docs in word all of a sudden . File conv pops up and it looks encrypted please help !!!!!!!!!