Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

Default Word Is Forever Installing

I installed portions of Office Enterprise 2007 (Word, Excel and Outlook) from my Administrator account. After playing with the software for a few days, I switched back to my Limited User account (in Windows XP Home SP 3).

In my Limited User account, each and every time I click on the Word or Excel icon, Office starts installing. Here's what happens: I click on the icon, then I see a message box that displays the file name stdole.tlb -- nothing else, just the name of the file -- and an OK button. I click on OK and Office starts installing. This happens every time.

How can I stop this from happening?

Daddy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

Default Solved: Word Is Forever Installing

Ah yes. As I suspected, this behavior has to do with user permissions
granted to certain registry keys and is solved with SubInAcl. I've actually
seen this before, but in a different context.

I'm not an expert on the subject, but from what I have read I believe it is
correct to say that this behavior is *not* the fault of Windows or Office.
It is caused when third-party software, possibly security applications,
changes certain user permissions in the registry.

Daddy