Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
wordperfect fan wordperfect fan is offline

Default Word 2007: Auto-numbering, how to set a start number other than 1

Word 2007

This is a legal pleading & the format is "Response to Special Rog [#]

I'm auto-numbering using Quickparts - Fields. Now my requests have jumped
from 42 to 45. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any way to reset the
starting number to 45.

BTW: I received a doc the other day which appeared to have auto numbering in
it - using some extremely complicated set up that in fact, didn't actually
work. It inserted the same code every time & you had to manually update the
field every time so... not really auto-numbering at all, unfortunately.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What you are describing toward the end is a SEQ field. I have found that if
you save a SEQ field as an AutoText entry, it updates upon insertion. The
advantage of the SEQ field (or it could be LISTNUM) is that you can easily
set a new starting point for a given field, and subsequent ones will count
from there.

http://word.mvps.org

"wordperfect fan" wordperfect wrote in
message ...
Word 2007

This is a legal pleading & the format is "Response to Special Rog [#]

I'm auto-numbering using Quickparts - Fields. Now my requests have jumped
from 42 to 45. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any way to reset
the
starting number to 45.

BTW: I received a doc the other day which appeared to have auto numbering
in
it - using some extremely complicated set up that in fact, didn't actually
work. It inserted the same code every time & you had to manually update
the
field every time so... not really auto-numbering at all, unfortunately.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I am not clear what exactly you have inserted from Quickparts, but automatic
paragraph numbering formats can usually be restarted from any number. Right
click the paragraph and select 'Set Numbering Value'.

ListNum fields can be started or restarted from any number using a switch eg

{ LISTNUM LegalDefault \s 45 }
{ LISTNUM LegalDefault}
{ LISTNUM LegalDefault }
{ LISTNUM LegalDefault \s 50 }
{ LISTNUM LegalDefault }
{ LISTNUM LegalDefault }

SEQ fields are similar and as Suzanne suggests SEQ fields are very useful as
you can not only dictate the start number but you can have any number of
sequences. The fact that they do not automatically update if you make
changes is of minor consequence. You could easily force an update e.g.
CTRL+A then F9 or by using a macro from a button on the QAT (Quick Access
Toolbar) . See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for example code.