Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
George Lloyd-Word George Lloyd-Word is offline

Default Why doesn't my word check punctuation? It's turned on.

Problem:
All of a suddenly I find that my MS Word does not check Punctuation, and
only "sort-of" checks Grammar. The Spell Check seems to be OK.
I have 3 computers with a different versions of word on each: Word 2000/XP,
2002/XP, 2003/Vista. This week I just noticed that all of them have the same
problem.
I do have the options turned on to Check Grammar and Punctuation.
The only thing I have done that might be common is to activate the Chinese
language in all three.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can you list some mistakes that you're sure it flagged before, and
doesn't flag now?

Activating Chinese certainly shouldn't affect the English grammar-
checker, but maybe some of the selections got changed -- did you find
the place where you choose the options for what to check and not
check, and set them as you want them?

Or: are you typing English in a document whose Set Language is Chinese
(or something else)? Be sure your Set Language throughout the document
(Ctrl-A) is the variety of English you used to use. (If your document
is in English (US) and your proofing tools are in English (UK), it
won't be happy.)

On Aug 20, 12:34*pm, George Lloyd-Word George Lloyd-Word
@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
Problem:
All of a suddenly I find that my MS Word does not check Punctuation, and
only "sort-of" checks Grammar. The Spell Check seems to be OK.
I have 3 computers with a different versions of word on each: Word 2000/XP,
2002/XP, 2003/Vista. This week I just noticed that all of them have the same
problem.
I do have the options turned on to Check Grammar and Punctuation.
The only thing I have done that might be common is to activate the Chinese
language in all three.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In some recent version of Word (2002 or 2003?), a change was made in the
grammar settings. Previously you could choose among various "styles" such as
Standard, Colloquial, and Custom. Recent versions have only the custom
option, requiring you to select which specific grammar issues you want
checked. It may be that you do not have the appropriate items checked.

http://word.mvps.org

"George Lloyd-Word" George Lloyd-Word @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in
message ...