Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

Default Please help with spacing in bulleted/numbered lists.

I hate to be a chronic complainer, but this is my second posting of this
problem and I hope that someone can help. I'm running Word from Office 2007
under Vista/64.

If I create multiple paragraphs in Word 2007, format these paragraphs:
Paragraph/Indents and Spacing/Spacing/After: 6points, the screen immediately
shows the added space. Then if I turn these paragraphs into a bulletted or
numbered list or an outline, the added spacing disappears. Turn off
bulleting/numbering and the spaces come back.

Now, if I generate this same list in Word 2003 on another computer and bring
it over to the system with Word 2007, the spacing is proper; that is, the 6
points after hold true for bullets/numbers or not. What's more, if a second
list is generated using Word 2007 in the same document (the one created with
Word 2003), then the spacing specified by Word 2007 is just fine.

I ask anyone here who is running Word 2007 to try this. Create a few
one-line paragraphs, highlight them and specify 6 points after, then
highlight again and bullet the paragraphs. Does the spacing 'stick'? Thank
you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

I found the problem. When you bullet or number a list, Word automatically
checks the box under paragraph formatting: "Don't add space between
paragraphs of the same style." This box has to be cleared manually each time.

"Jim Wood" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can avoid this by choosing to use Normal style for lists instead of the
List Paragraph style (there's an option for that somewhere) or by modifying
the List Paragraph style not to have this property.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jim Wood" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim Wood Jim Wood is offline

Thanks, Suzanne,

I found it and fixed it, once and for all. Now... this begs the
question: how do YOU feel about Word 2007 bynow? Hmmm?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can avoid this by choosing to use Normal style for lists instead of the
List Paragraph style (there's an option for that somewhere) or by modifying

"Jim Wood" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, I'm still using Word 2003 for production work; I only venture into
Word 2007 to answer user questions or to write blog posts. g

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can avoid this by choosing to use Normal style for lists instead of
the
List Paragraph style (there's an option for that somewhere) or by
modifying

"Jim Wood" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The options were definitely grouped in a more logical way in the Options
dialog box of previous versions than they are now. For example, categories
such as "Advanced" (to whom?) and "Popular" (with whom?) aren't at all
helpful.

On the other hand, most settings seem to be in the Advanced category, so if
you are uncertain, that's the place to look. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can avoid this by choosing to use Normal style for lists instead of the
List Paragraph style (there's an option for that somewhere) or by modifying

"Jim Wood" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, I confess I'm always surprised when something *isn't* in the Advanced
section, as that's where I go first by default.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You can avoid this by choosing to use Normal style for lists instead of
the
List Paragraph style (there's an option for that somewhere) or by
modifying