Can you force labels to print vertically instead of horizontally?

Old September 18th 07, 01:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TechnoMom

Default Can you force labels to print vertically instead of horizontally?

I am using Word Mail Merge to print labels for use as a school directory.
The data is being selected out of an Excel spreadsheet. Each page has 2
columns of name/address information. I would like the labels to print
vertically, like this:

Student A Student D
Student B Student E
Student C Student F

rather than this, which is what Word does by default.
Student A Student B
Student C Student D
Student E Student F

Is this possible?
Thanks!
Old September 18th 07, 08:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You can only do this by sorting the data so that it appears in the correct
finished order. Fellow MVP Doug Robbins produced a macro to do this with the
original Data source saved as a Word table

Sub SortData()
' Macro to assign numbers to data source so that it can be sorted to cause
'labels to print down columns
Dim Message, Title, Default, labelrows, labelcolumns, _
i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a row" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per Row" ' Set title.
Default = "3" ' Set default.
' Display message, title, and default value.
labelcolumns = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
Message = "Enter the number of labels in a column" ' Set prompt.
Title = "Labels per column" ' Set title.
Default = "8" ' Set default.
labelrows = InputBox(Message, Title, Default)
With ActiveDocument.Tables(1)
..Columns.Add BeforeColumn:=ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1)
..Rows(1).Range.Cut
End With
k = 1
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows.Count - labelcolumns
For j = 1 To labelrows
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range.InsertBefore _
k + (j - 1) * labelcolumns
i = i + 1
Next j
k = k + 1
i = i - 1
If k Mod labelcolumns = 1 Then k = k - labelcolumns + _
labelcolumns * labelrows
Next i
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Sort FieldNumber:="Column 1"
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Rows(1).Select
Selection.Paste
ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1).Delete
End Sub

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old November 18th 10, 06:26 PM
ErikaC ErikaC is offline

I copied and pasted the macro below but receive a syntax error at the line "..Columns.Add BeforeColumn:=ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Columns(1)"

Since I don't know how to write this kind of code, I don't know how to correct the syntax. I am using Word 2007.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Mayor View Post