rogerpb rogerpb is offline
Junior Member

Default Overlong sentences

I recently had a long text to edit, in which the authors often used sentences of six to ten lines long.

For the first time I used Word 7's readability check, which I found unsuitable, because it insisted on doing a complete grammar and spelling check first, and then came up with an average sentence length of 15 words, which might just be acceptable in such a long document, but it did not indicate the length of the many overlong sentences scattered among the shorter ones.

Is there some way to search for ". {greater than 1000 characters} ." and count the occurrences?

Or a macro that can list the number of sentences in order of length?

And why does the "greater than" symbol not reproduce in this post?

Last edited by rogerpb : October 6th 12 at 10:56 AM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lisa Wilke-Thissen Lisa Wilke-Thissen is offline

Default Counting bullets

Hi,

I can find no way to count bullets in Word 7.

sure, that you are using Word 7? Maybe, you use Windows 7. However,
which version of Word do you use?

I cannot even do so by search and replace,
as there seems to be no way of pasting a bullet into
the search pane, and no "/x" formatting symbol.

What do you mean by "bullets"? Did you insert them as symbols? Or did
you use them as paragraph formatting (automatic bullets/numbering)?

--
Cheers,
Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

A macro should be able to locate each paragraph to which a list format (bullet
or numbering) has been applied. You'd then have to look at the properties of the
list to see which type. Someone in a programming forum may be able to help out
with the details.

However, note that if you are trying to apply formatting to all paragraphs that
are part of a list, the Select All X Instances command might be helpful. You can
use this command, which is available when you right-click an entry in the Styles
pane, assuming that you have selected the "Keep track of formatting" option in
Office button | Word Options, and that you have selected the options under
"Select formatting to show as styles" in the Style Pane Options dialog box (to
display the dialog, click the Options link in the Styles pane).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"rogerpb" wrote in message ...

I can find no way to count bullets in Word 7. I cannot even do so by
search and replace, as there seems to be no way of pasting a bullet into
the search pane, and no "/x" formatting symbol.

Is there a macro?