Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Davidy Davidy is offline

Default Not all my captions show up in my list of figures?

I am using Office 07. In my Word document I have labled figures by inserting
figure captions. However, several of my figures do not show-up in my list of
figures. I have checked that these labels are captions and also that they
are not text boxes, yet the problem still persists. I have the same problem
with my list of tables. Can you suggest a solution?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Not all my captions show up in my list of figures?

Sure, I can help you with that! It sounds like you're having trouble with your table of figures and table of tables not including all of your captions. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue:
  1. Check the formatting of your captions: Make sure that all of your figure and table captions are formatted the same way. They should all be labeled as "Figure" or "Table" (depending on the type of caption) and numbered consistently. If any of your captions are formatted differently, they may not be included in the list.
  2. Update your table of figures/tables: Sometimes, Word doesn't automatically update your table of figures or tables when you add new captions. To update the table, simply right-click on it and select "Update Field." This should refresh the table and include any new captions that weren't previously included.
  3. Check your settings: It's possible that your table of figures/tables settings are set to exclude certain types of captions. To check this, go to the "References" tab and click on "Insert Table of Figures" or "Insert Table of Tables." In the dialog box that appears, make sure that all of the caption types you want to include are selected.
  4. Manually add missing captions: If all else fails, you can manually add any missing captions to your table of figures/tables. To do this, simply place your cursor where you want the caption to appear in the table, and then go to the "References" tab and click on "Insert Caption." Select the appropriate caption type and number, and then click "OK." The caption should now appear in the table.

I hope these steps help you resolve the issue!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PamC PamC is offline

Make sure that the paragraph style for all your figure (or table) captions is
the same as that specified in the list of figures field code.

PamC

"Davidy" wrote:

I am using Office 07. In my Word document I have labled figures by inserting
figure captions. However, several of my figures do not show-up in my list of
figures. I have checked that these labels are captions and also that they
are not text boxes, yet the problem still persists. I have the same problem
with my list of tables. Can you suggest a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Was the table of figures created based on a particular style or on the
caption label (SEQ field)? Are there any differences between the captions
that do show up and those that don't?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Davidy" wrote in message
I am using Office 07. In my Word document I have labled figures by
inserting
figure captions. However, several of my figures do not show-up in my list
of
figures. I have checked that these labels are captions and also that they
are not text boxes, yet the problem still persists. I have the same
problem
with my list of tables. Can you suggest a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kelly V[_2_] Kelly V[_2_] is offline

I'm having exactly the same problem as Davidy.

I'm not an idiot, I've been using Word for years and I've had issues with
this before, but have always been able to fix it. It's usually been caused
by someone not using Insert Captions, or a page break or section break
interferes with it, or a hidden text box causes problems. This time,
however, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with the bloody thing! All of the
codes are EXACTLY the same, so there's no frikkin' reason why the Table of
Figures isn't picking them up! I've tried copying and pasting the style from
a caption that's working to the ones that aren't, but that hasn't worked. I
even got desperate and tried Format Painter, but that was a bust.

I'm about ready to shoot this bloody pc right in the monitor - HELP!!!

"Davidy" wrote in message
I am using Office 07. In my Word document I have labled figures by
inserting
figure captions. However, several of my figures do not show-up in my list
of
figures. I have checked that these labels are captions and also that they
are not text boxes, yet the problem still persists. I have the same
problem
with my list of tables. Can you suggest a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless you have the TOF configured to pick up the Caption style, it is
looking for a specific label, which is inserted with a SEQ field. Make sure
that the SEQ field identifier is exactly the same in all the captions. If
you've chosen the default "Figure" label, the SEQ field will be { SEQ
Figure \* ARABIC }.

"Davidy" wrote in message
I am using Office 07. In my Word document I have labled figures by
inserting
figure captions. However, several of my figures do not show-up in my
list
of
figures. I have checked that these labels are captions and also that
they
are not text boxes, yet the problem still persists. I have the same
problem
with my list of tables. Can you suggest a solution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kelly V[_2_] Kelly V[_2_] is offline

Hi Suzanne!

Yes, all of the codes are exactly the same, I've Shift+F9'd ALL of my
captions, just to be on the safe side, and they're all coded the same way and
correctly, but two of them still won't show up in the ToF -- the heck?

I was reading other posts and thought that perhaps someone along the way had
locked the caption and figure, but that wasn't the issue, either. No
textboxes, no random breaks, nothing is different around those two captions
from the other captions that I've been able to find. Weird! And to make it
even weirder (more weird?) is that ALL of the figure captions showed up in
the ToF until I added one final caption on the VERY last figure, refreshed
the ToF, and boom! Suddenly, I lost Figures 2 and 7! I didn't do anything
out of the ordinary, added the caption to the last one like I did with all
the other ones, no weird breaks, no hidden codes, no nothing...

Maybe I have gremlins...

"Davidy" wrote in message
I am using Office 07. In my Word document I have labled figures by
inserting
figure captions. However, several of my figures do not show-up in my
list
of
figures. I have checked that these labels are captions and also that
they
are not text boxes, yet the problem still persists. I have the same
problem
with my list of tables. Can you suggest a solution?

uid100 uid100 is offline
Junior Member

Lightbulb

I fought this one for an hour or so... tried deleting captions and recreating them and more, resetting all formatting, checking all of the field codes... had to be something simpler than that, right?

FINALLY solved it for my situation.

Accepted all changes and TURN TRACK CHANGES OFF. Magic!

I sincerely hope this helps someone else.

Figures and captions thermoregulator Microsoft Word Help 5 October 10th 07 01:12 AM
Tbl of figures/Captions Gail[_2_] Tables 2 May 20th 07 09:24 PM
figures and captions Rob Page Layout 1 March 24th 06 04:34 AM
Captions don't show up in table of figures when in a textbox Sanne Heesmans Microsoft Word Help 3 July 13th 05 02:36 PM
Using captions to create a list of figures in the TOC Mary Lee Page Layout 2 April 15th 05 07:03 PM