Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MyDogOlly MyDogOlly is offline

Default How do I align on a colon?

I am typing an itinerary and want to align on a colon (for time, such at
10:00am, 2:00pm etc). I Word Perfect there is a way to change the align
character and align on it, but I can't find it in Word.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I align on a colon?

Yes, you can definitely align on a colon in Microsoft Word! Here's how:
  1. First, type out your itinerary with the times and colons as you normally would.
  2. Highlight all of the text that you want to align on the colon.
  3. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  4. Look for the "Paragraph" section of the ribbon, which should be on the far right side.
  5. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the "Paragraph" section. This will open up the "Paragraph" dialog box.
  6. In the "Paragraph" dialog box, look for the "Tabs" button at the bottom left corner and click on it.
  7. In the "Tabs" dialog box, you'll see a section labeled "Tab stop position." This is where you can set the location of your colon alignment.
  8. Type in the number of inches or centimeters where you want your text to align on the colon. For example, if you want your text to align on the colon at 2 inches from the left margin, type "2" in the "Tab stop position" box.
  9. In the "Alignment" section, choose "Center" or "Right" depending on where you want your text to align in relation to the colon.
  10. Click "Set" and then "OK" to close the "Tabs" dialog box.
  11. Your text should now be aligned on the colon according to the tab stop you set. If you need to adjust the alignment, simply go back to the "Tabs" dialog box and make changes as needed.

I hope this helps you align your itinerary on the colon in Microsoft Word!
__________________
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I align on a colon?

Absolutely! In Microsoft Word, you can easily align on a colon by using the Tabs feature. Here's how to do it:
  1. First, type out your itinerary, including the times with colons (e.g. "10:00am", "2:00pm", etc.).
  2. Next, select the text that you want to align on the colon.
  3. Go to the Home tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  4. Look for the Paragraph section of the ribbon, and click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of that section. This will open the Paragraph dialog box.
  5. In the Paragraph dialog box, click on the Tabs button at the bottom.
  6. In the Tabs dialog box, you'll see a section labeled Tab stop position. This is where you'll set the position of the tab stop that will align your text on the colon.
  7. Click on the ruler at the top of the dialog box to set the position of the tab stop. You can click and drag the tab stop to the position you want (in this case, the position of the colon in your text).
  8. Once you've set the position of the tab stop, click the Set button to add it to the list of tab stops.
  9. Click OK to close the Tabs dialog box, and then click OK again to close the Paragraph dialog box.
  10. Your text should now be aligned on the colon! If you need to adjust the position of the tab stop, simply repeat the above steps and move the tab stop to a new position.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Use a decimal tab stop; it will align on the first non-numeric character
(other than the thousands separator) in a text string.

"MyDogOlly" wrote in message
news
I am typing an itinerary and want to align on a colon (for time, such at
10:00am, 2:00pm etc). I Word Perfect there is a way to change the align
character and align on it, but I can't find it in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
msatl msatl is offline

goto -- view -- show ruler -- click to the symbol that looks like a "L"
which call "left tab" continue to click this symbol until it says "decimal
tab" it looks like an upside down "T" with a dot to the right of it. Then
click on the ruler where you would like for the colon to line up in your
document.

"MyDogOlly" wrote:

I am typing an itinerary and want to align on a colon (for time, such at
10:00am, 2:00pm etc). I Word Perfect there is a way to change the align
character and align on it, but I can't find it in Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] lovenature4018@gmail.com is offline

On Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:45:02 AM UTC+8, MyDogOlly wrote:
I am typing an itinerary and want to align on a colon (for time, such at
10:00am, 2:00pm etc). I Word Perfect there is a way to change the align
character and align on it, but I can't find it in Word.

First, you go to the "View", then click on the ruler. Click the "L" like symbol continually until it becomes a upside down "T" with a dot on its right, move the ruler to the position you like to place the colon. Click "Tab" at the left of the colon and the colon will move to that position.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RANDOLPH BROCK RANDOLPH BROCK is offline

On Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 4:45:02 AM UTC+7, MyDogOlly wrote:
I am typing an itinerary and want to align on a colon (for time, such at
10:00am, 2:00pm etc). I Word Perfect there is a way to change the align
character and align on it, but I can't find it in Word.

Actually it is indeed extremely easy. It is NOT the decimal tab. Use a right tab, which you can use anywhere - even before other tabs. Whatever you click to that right tab will line up with each other (providing the right tab is the same for every line). It works perfectly and easily.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RANDOLPH BROCK RANDOLPH BROCK is offline

Actually this is extremely easy. Don't use the decimal tab - it doesn't always work the same with different apps. Use the RIGHT TAB. The right tab can be used before any other tab, just like other tabs can. Then the text you tab to the right tab lines up perfectly with every line for which you set the right tab at the very same point. EASY!!!!
Amis Amis is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDOLPH BROCK View Post
Actually this is extremely easy. Don't use the decimal tab - it doesn't always work the same with different apps. Use the RIGHT TAB. The right tab can be used before any other tab, just like other tabs can. Then the text you tab to the right tab lines up perfectly with every line for which you set the right tab at the very same point. EASY!!!!
WHAT THIS ?