steve

Default ghost-like backup files on desktop

Whenever I work on a document for a long period of time I seem to accumulate
dozens of copies of the file, all starting with ~$ and followed by part of
the file name.

I assume these are some sort of back up copies, but they really clutter my
desktop and make switching between applications and documents tricky.

Is there any way of not showing them?

Many thanks

Steve
steve

Actually, on further inspection, only the first ghost file starts with ~$ -
all the others are in the format ~WRL followed by a number. The icon in
these cases is not a Word one, but one of those 'undefined' icons.

"steve" wrote:

Whenever I work on a document for a long period of time I seem to accumulate
dozens of copies of the file, all starting with ~$ and followed by part of
the file name.

I assume these are some sort of back up copies, but they really clutter my
desktop and make switching between applications and documents tricky.

Is there any way of not showing them?

Many thanks

Steve

These are temp files and are unavoidable. They will be far less troublesome
if you store your documents somewhere other than on the desktop, which is
really not a good place to store them, anyway. If you want a specific
document to be easily accessible, store it in My Documents (or another
documents folder) and put a shortcut to it on the desktop. You might also
want to check out Word's Work menu; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm.

"steve" wrote in message
Actually, on further inspection, only the first ghost file starts with

~$ -

"steve" wrote:

Whenever I work on a document for a long period of time I seem to

accumulate
dozens of copies of the file, all starting with ~$ and followed by part

of
the file name.

I assume these are some sort of back up copies, but they really clutter

my
desktop and make switching between applications and documents tricky.

Is there any way of not showing them?

Many thanks

Steve

Alvis

I am new to this group and hope I may joint in this particular discussion.

I have also started to have the problem with "ghost" files - as Steve calls
them. This only started a couple of months ago. I store my documents in a
My Documents folder and when I open one to work on it, I now notice that the
file name is repeated at the beginning of the list of files with a squiggle
in front of it. The squiggle obliterates the first letter or so. This entry
disappears when I close and later reopen Word.

Why has this just started to happen - and how can I stop it?

Hope someone can help.

"steve" wrote:

Whenever I work on a document for a long period of time I seem to

accumulate
dozens of copies of the file, all starting with ~$ and followed by part

of
the file name.

I assume these are some sort of back up copies, but they really clutter

my
desktop and make switching between applications and documents tricky.

Is there any way of not showing them?

Many thanks

Steve

Graham Mayor

It has only 'started a couple of months ago' if you set Windows Explorer to
display hidden files a couple of months ago. This is intentional behaviour.
These are Word's temporary files. Ignore them or turn off the hidden file
display again. Frankly it is better to know what is being stored on your PC.
See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

These are temp files and are unavoidable. They will be far less
troublesome if you store your documents somewhere other than on the
desktop, which is really not a good place to store them, anyway. If
you want a specific document to be easily accessible, store it in My
Documents (or another documents folder) and put a shortcut to it on
the desktop. You might also want to check out Word's Work menu; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/WorkMenu.htm.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"steve" wrote:

Whenever I work on a document for a long period of time I seem to
accumulate dozens of copies of the file, all starting with ~$ and
followed by part of the file name.

I assume these are some sort of back up copies, but they really
clutter my desktop and make switching between applications and
documents tricky.

Is there any way of not showing them?

Many thanks

Steve

Alvis

Graham - Thank you for this information. I must have set Windows Explorer to
display hidden files accidentally and would appreciate knowing how to reverse
the process. Are you able to advise me? Many thanks - Alvis

"steve" wrote:

Whenever I work on a document for a long period of time I seem to
accumulate dozens of copies of the file, all starting with ~$ and
followed by part of the file name.

I assume these are some sort of back up copies, but they really
clutter my desktop and make switching between applications and
documents tricky.

Is there any way of not showing them?

Many thanks

Steve

Graham Mayor

Frankly I would leave the hidden file display active. It makes trouble
shooting simpler, and if temporary files are orphaned through crashes they
can cause all sorts of problems. Better to know they are there.

However, you can turn off the display from Windows Explorer Tools Folder
Options View uncheck 'show hidden files and folders'