Kevin Huntsinger

Default Wrong characters being typed in word and outlook??

I am running office xp. When I have outlook open and word and I start to
type in either one wrong characters show up. For example I will type an A
and get an X. If I shut down all the office programs then re-open them it is
fixed but just for a few minutes.

I have already tried a new keyboard and reinstalling the office software.
Any suggestions??

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2V2aW4gSHVudHNpbmdlcg==?=,

I am running office xp. When I have outlook open and word and I start to
type in either one wrong characters show up. For example I will type an A
and get an X. If I shut down all the office programs then re-open them it is
fixed but just for a few minutes.

I have already tried a new keyboard and reinstalling the office software.

This is only in Office, not in any other programs, such as Notepad?

When this happens while typing in Word, look down at the "middle" of the status
bar. You'll see boxes with Rec, Trk, Ext, Ovr and the language of the current
text. Is the language shown the one you'd expect, or something else?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Kevin Huntsinger

I have not looked at the language bar. I will definietly check that out. I
also noticed that when this is happening in word the same problem occurs in
Internet Explorer, the run command and notepad.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Kevin H.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?S2V2aW4gSHVudHNpbmdlcg==?=,

I am running office xp. When I have outlook open and word and I start to
type in either one wrong characters show up. For example I will type an A
and get an X. If I shut down all the office programs then re-open them it is
fixed but just for a few minutes.

I have already tried a new keyboard and reinstalling the office software.

This is only in Office, not in any other programs, such as Notepad?

When this happens while typing in Word, look down at the "middle" of the status
bar. You'll see boxes with Rec, Trk, Ext, Ovr and the language of the current
text. Is the language shown the one you'd expect, or something else?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2V2aW4gSHVudHNpbmdlcg==?=,

I will definietly check that out. I
also noticed that when this is happening in word the same problem occurs in
Internet Explorer, the run command and notepad.

In that case, my best guess is that your keyboard layout is changing. If you
haven't specified otherwise, Windows will cycle through keyboard layouts when
you press Shift+Alt.

In the Windows Control Panel, Regional and Language Settings/Language/Details.
(I'm assuming Windows XP, if you have something else, the details may be
different)

Take a look at the "Installed Services". You'll see a list of languages, and
the keyboards that have been associated with them. You'll want to click on
each language you don't use, then click "Remove". Do the same for any keyboard
layout you never use with a language you want to keep. Note that you can use a
language with a different keyboard locale layout (your own): Just select the
language, then click "Add" and choose your preferred keyboard layout.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Kevin Huntsinger

Checking the language settings seems to have fixed the problem. There were
some other keyboards listed in different languages. The user must have been
hitting that key combo to cycle through the different keyboards. I removed
those keyboards and all is fine now.

Thanks so much for you help Cindy.

Kevin Huntsinger

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?S2V2aW4gSHVudHNpbmdlcg==?=,

Checking the language settings seems to have fixed the problem. There were
some other keyboards listed in different languages. The user must have been
hitting that key combo to cycle through the different keyboards. I removed
those keyboards and all is fine now.

Thanks for letting me know this was the problem :-)

Cindy Meister

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Send Word doc as attachment using Outlook, not Outlook Express, h. Edwin of Northumbria Microsoft Word Help 1 February 12th 05 02:44 PM
Problem in the Relationship between Outlook 2003 & Word 2003 Chris Marsh Microsoft Word Help 2 January 11th 05 06:01 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 03:01 AM