Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Snappa Snappa is offline

Default How to Open Files in Tabs

Is there any way I can have multiple Word files open, and select them using
tabs at the top or bottom, just as I can select excel worksheets, or
different webpages in the latest browsers ?
I regularly work on the same 3 or 4 related files, and I would like to be
able to select a tab to move between them.
Perhaps there is another way to achieve a similar way of working ?
I am using Win XP Prof, and Word 2003.
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kit_e[_2_] Kit_e[_2_] is offline

Not TABS as such, but you can use ALT+SHIFT to move between anything open on
you desktop, much easier than using that dreaded mouse. Hope that helps a
little.

"Snappa" wrote:

Is there any way I can have multiple Word files open, and select them using
tabs at the top or bottom, just as I can select excel worksheets, or
different webpages in the latest browsers ?
I regularly work on the same 3 or 4 related files, and I would like to be
able to select a tab to move between them.
Perhaps there is another way to achieve a similar way of working ?
I am using Win XP Prof, and Word 2003.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There are no tabs available to be included in the Word interface.

You could select from open documents from the Windows taskbar
or
from the Window Menu
or
by clicking the entry in the recent files list under the File menu.

Snappa wrote:
Tes, I use ALT+TAB all the time for jumping around my running
applications. But there are usually so many open, emails, etc., that
moving between open Word documents is not so easy.
I was hoping for a piece of VBA which may allow me to do what I want.
Thanks anyway.
Anyone else ?

"Snappa" wrote:

Is there any way I can have multiple Word files open, and select
them using tabs at the top or bottom, just as I can select excel
worksheets, or different webpages in the latest browsers ?
I regularly work on the same 3 or 4 related files, and I would like
to be able to select a tab to move between them.
Perhaps there is another way to achieve a similar way of working ?
I am using Win XP Prof, and Word 2003.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Snappa Snappa is offline

Not the answer I wanted, but sort of what I expected.
Thinking laterally, would it be possible to have a tool on the toolbar for
each of the related files I regularly work on ? I'm pretty sure I could use
some VBA to have a top level menu item for each of my 3 documents. Do you
agree ? Maybe this is what I'll have to do. Almost back to the Window menu,
aren't we, but separate menu items gives me better "visibility" of my docs,
and I could even give each one a short-cut key.
Thanks for your ideas, and advice.

"Snappa" wrote:

Is there any way I can have multiple Word files open, and select
them using tabs at the top or bottom, just as I can select excel
worksheets, or different webpages in the latest browsers ?
I regularly work on the same 3 or 4 related files, and I would like
to be able to select a tab to move between them.
Perhaps there is another way to achieve a similar way of working ?
I am using Win XP Prof, and Word 2003.
Thanks.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could use the work menu (which you can add to the menu bar) or you could
create a custom toolbar and add macros to open your documents. The macros
could be as simple as

Sub MyDoc1()
Documents.Open FileName:="""D:\Path\Filename.doc"""
End Sub

Sub MyDoc2()
Documents.Open FileName:="""D:\Another Path\Filename2.doc"""
End Sub

etc

http://www.gmayor.com/word_vba_examples.htm

"Snappa" wrote:

Is there any way I can have multiple Word files open, and select
them using tabs at the top or bottom, just as I can select excel
worksheets, or different webpages in the latest browsers ?
I regularly work on the same 3 or 4 related files, and I would
like to be able to select a tab to move between them.
Perhaps there is another way to achieve a similar way of working ?
I am using Win XP Prof, and Word 2003.
Thanks.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Yves Dhondt Yves Dhondt is offline

You might want to give OfficeTab a try. Most information about is in
Chinese, but there is an English version. See
http://hi.baidu.com/officecm/blog/it...2431694b0.html

Yves

"Snappa" wrote in message
Is there any way I can have multiple Word files open, and select them
using
tabs at the top or bottom, just as I can select excel worksheets, or
different webpages in the latest browsers ?
I regularly work on the same 3 or 4 related files, and I would like to be
able to select a tab to move between them.
Perhaps there is another way to achieve a similar way of working ?
I am using Win XP Prof, and Word 2003.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Thanks for the heads up on that one. Initial testing suggests it works OK
with Word 2003, but it locks up my installation of Word 2007. Whether that
means a conflict with other software I have installed I hesitate to say.
Certainly worth a look if that sort of thing appeals, but for my needs it's
an answer to a problem I don't have.

"Snappa" wrote in message
Is there any way I can have multiple Word files open, and select them
using
tabs at the top or bottom, just as I can select excel worksheets, or
different webpages in the latest browsers ?
I regularly work on the same 3 or 4 related files, and I would like
to be able to select a tab to move between them.
Perhaps there is another way to achieve a similar way of working ?
I am using Win XP Prof, and Word 2003.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Snappa Snappa is offline

Thanks to you all, particularly Yves and Suzanne. I think I'll start with
the Work Menu. I prefer to use keyboard shortcuts, and if Alt + k /1 will
always bring up my logbook, for example, this is much more user friendly than
the Windows menu.

If the Work Menu doesn't work out, I'll try the OfficeTab a try.

Thanks again.