Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JenFruels JenFruels is offline

Default not valid short file name

Hi,
I'm using MS Word 2003, WinXP. I was trying to save a file as "Web Page,
Filtered" but the file was unable to be saved. Its message was "Cannot save
the file. 'psr20595_FIN.htm' is not a valid short file name (maximum eight
characters, plus a three-character file extension)". I was quite confused
because I am able to save other files having the same format. It was my first
time to come across such problem. Hope somebody could enlighten me. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:49:01 -0700, JenFruels
wrote:

psr20595_FIN.htm

Howdy,

That filename has 12 characters plus three for the extension
(htm). All the characters before the "." are counted.

What you want would be of the form: 12345678.123

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kenneth Kenneth is offline

wrote:

psr20595_FIN.htm

Howdy,

That filename has 12 characters plus three for the extension
(htm). All the characters before the "." are counted.

What you want would be of the form: 12345678.123

All the best,

Hi again,

I should have added that I have no idea WHY it wants a short
file name. I was only commenting in the fact that the
filename you use as the example does not fit the short
format.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JenFruels JenFruels is offline

Ok thanks. I was just a bit confusing because all the other files even having
more than 8 characters can be saved as "Web Paged, Filtered".