Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32,microsoft.public.win32.programmer.gdi,microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui,microsoft.public.word.tables
Chris Shearer Cooper Chris Shearer Cooper is offline

Default Hiding rows in RTF tables with merged cells?

My application generates its output in RTF format and then uses a
commercially available editor (not Word) to display the output to the user.
One of the things I need to do, is generate tables like this:

A C
B C

so it's a table with two rows and two columns, but the two cells in the
second column are vertically merged.

The problem is, if the text in the merged column is extra-long, it makes the
row containing 'B' taller to fit all its text. That's reasonable, but makes
B look ugly, What I want is more like this ...

A C
B C
x C

where that third row contains no text in the 'x' cell, and the row
containing x only shows up if the text in C is long enough to require it.

So, trying to draw this, instead of seeing this ...
+---+---+
+ A + C +
+---+ C +
+ B + C +
+ + C +
+ + C +
+ + C +
+---+---+
(notice all the blank space in the row containing B)

I want to see this (hard to show in proportional fonts, sorry, and I'm not
sure if it's safe to do HTML formatting)
+---+---+
+ A + C +
+---+ C +
+ B + C +
+---+ C +
+ + C +
+ + C +
+---+---+

But if the stuff in 'C' is short, I want to see
+---+---+
+ A + C +
+---+ C +
+ B + C +
+---+---+

and not
+---+---+
+ A + C +
+---+ C +
+ B + C +
+---+ +
+ + +
+---+---+

I tried adding a blank row at the end, and putting absolutely no content in
it, but it seems like RTF assumes that if you have a row, it gives it by
default the height of the default font.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Chris