Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Merged documents prints "(Blank)"

You are welcome

kojaks43 wrote:
Thanks, Mr Mayor:
This was hard as it was the first time I tried the mergefield
business. It took me a few tries to understand I needed to do Ctrl
F9 for each set of braces. I did it once and then typed subsequent
braces. When it dawned on me I was getting a non-bold brace and
curley quotes, I realized my error. It works fine for me now.
Again thanks for the guidance and patience.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

That is not what I advocated!

If you toggle the display (ALT+F9)

you want

{Mergefield Prefix} {Mergefield First_Name} {Mergefield Last_Name}
{Mergefield Provider}
{Mergefield Address1}{IF {Mergefield Address2} "" "
{Mergefield Address2}"}
{Mergefield City}, {Mergefield State} {Mergefield Zip}

which would be the equivalent of

«Provider»
«Address2»"}

Pairs of field brackets are each inserted with CTRL+F9
You can insert the mergefields from the toolbar or better still
enter them manually.
When you have finished, toggle the display again (ALT+F9)

kojaks43 wrote:
This is what I did: ( inserted the data fields from my Excel file, I
then added the IF statement and this is what it looked like:

«Provider»
«Address1»
{IF (MERGEFIELD Address2 ""}«Address2»

This was the result:
Ms. Paula Funez
Baptist Echocardiography
P.O. Box 970252
{IF (MERGEFIELD Address2 ""}(blank)
Miami, FL 33197
As you can see, it not only continues to print (Blank) now it
includes the IF statement.

I think this could give me another heart attack!

What have I done wrong here?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The simplest approach which works for all versions is to use a
conditional field to insert the field only when it has content ie

Merged documents BeverlyB Mailmerge 1 September 12th 06 04:33 AM
Send Merged documents to Outlook Draft Folder instead of Outbox TBroome Mailmerge 3 August 29th 06 06:34 AM
My mail merged documents have missing fields Christine Mailmerge 1 August 11th 06 09:09 PM
Viewing Master Documents Gordon7000 Microsoft Word Help 11 June 17th 06 09:19 AM
save mass merged documents as seperate, individual letters cran Mailmerge 1 June 13th 06 07:36 PM