Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stuart

Default How can I force page numbering to start with an even number?

I need to start a document with an even page number without making it a
subdocument in a master document. Is there a way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Insert the page number from the header/footer toolbar and set the page start
number to whatever.
or
use a formula field

{={page} + 1} where '1' is the odd number below the even number you want to
start with.

Stuart wrote:
I need to start a document with an even page number without making it
a subdocument in a master document. Is there a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stuart

Thank you very much, but I need a little more help. No matter what I set the
page start number to, the second page will always be made an even page.
Also, the header/footer toolbar is very clumsy to use with page numbers and
running heads. I get better results using the toolbar for the running heads
and InsertPage Number for the page number. The odd-even problem remains
the same, of course.

I like the idea of entering the formula, but I don't know where to do it.
If I right-click on a page number and edit the field, do I put the formula
you suggested into the square brackets after PAGE? I've tried that and
nothing happened.

Stuart wrote:
I need to start a document with an even page number without making it
a subdocument in a master document. Is there a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

To insert each pair of field delimiters, { }, you should press
Ctrl+F9. Then just type the field code inside those. Press F9 to
update. If necessary, press Alt+F9 to hide field codes again.

But note that the procedure described above will create a calculated
page number; it won't be reflected in the table of contents, in
cross-references to page numbers, etc.

In order to get a "true" page number you must use the Page Number
Format dialog box to set the starting number. To access the dialog
box, you can use Insert | Page Numbers. Click Format. Specify the
desired "Start at" number. Click OK, and then click *Close* to close
the Page Numbers dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stuart wrote:
I need to start a document with an even page number without

making it
a subdocument in a master document. Is there a way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Hmm... A better solution should be to set the "Section start" to "Even
page" (File | Page Setup, Layout tab) and enable at least one of the
"Different odd and even" and "Mirror margins" options in the same
dialog box. It seems to force page numbering to start at an even
number (without setting a starting page number), as desired (but note
that I haven't tested this thoroughly).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Stuart wrote:
I need to start a document with an even page number without

making it
a subdocument in a master document. Is there a way to do

this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stuart

That seems to work perfectly. It is especially helplful because I can
preserve cross-references within the chapter. (I once did this book as
document-subdocument thing with lots of cross references between chapters,
but decided to let the reader use the index or other tools instead, reducing
clutter.) Thanks!
---
Stuart

Stuart wrote:
I need to start a document with an even page number without

making it
a subdocument in a master document. Is there a way to do

this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

You are welcome.