Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JP JP is offline

Default Pasting web pictures into Word 2003

I am working with Word 2003, and trying to paste several pictures, one at a
time, from web pages into my documents. (documents are study notes, pics are
non-copyrighted) Problem is, the pasted pictures always show up in my
documents as being around 10 to 12 inches wide. I like to view and edit the
documents using print view, but these pasted pictures are far bigger than the
page. Is there any way to change the default size for pasting a picture so
it can be 6.5 inches wide?

I have tried pasting the full size picture, then using a macro to change it
to the smaller width. I used the macro recorder to set this up on the first
picture. But for the subsequent pictures I got a runtime error, and am
pretty much stuck at that point.

Thanks in advance,
JP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 9 May 2008 16:25:02 -0700, jp wrote:

I am working with Word 2003, and trying to paste several pictures, one at a
time, from web pages into my documents. (documents are study notes, pics are
non-copyrighted) Problem is, the pasted pictures always show up in my
documents as being around 10 to 12 inches wide. I like to view and edit the
documents using print view, but these pasted pictures are far bigger than the
page. Is there any way to change the default size for pasting a picture so
it can be 6.5 inches wide?

I have tried pasting the full size picture, then using a macro to change it
to the smaller width. I used the macro recorder to set this up on the first
picture. But for the subsequent pictures I got a runtime error, and am
pretty much stuck at that point.

Thanks in advance,
JP

Here's a simpler method: Insert a table, set the column width to the maximum
that you'd want for a picture, and then click Table AutoFit Fixed Column
Width. In Tools Options Edit, make sure the default for pasting pictures is
"in line with text". Now paste the picture into a table cell, and it will
automatically resize to fit within the cell's width.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JP JP is offline

Thanks for the reply, Jay. That worked better for the width, and even worked
better as a macro. But now the picture is stretched vertically. Is there a
way to reduce the picture proportionately, similar to the "lock aspect ratio"
option under the Format Picture | Size tab? Thanks again,
JP

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Don Don is offline

?B?anA=?= wrote in
:

I am working with Word 2003, and trying to paste several pictures, one
at a time, from web pages into my documents. (documents are study
notes, pics are non-copyrighted) Problem is, the pasted pictures
always show up in my documents as being around 10 to 12 inches wide.
I like to view and edit the documents using print view, but these
pasted pictures are far bigger than the page. Is there any way to
change the default size for pasting a picture so it can be 6.5 inches
wide?

I have tried pasting the full size picture, then using a macro to
change it to the smaller width. I used the macro recorder to set this
up on the first picture. But for the subsequent pictures I got a
runtime error, and am pretty much stuck at that point.

Thanks in advance,
JP

A more effective way to accomplish this is
1) first save the images to a desired folder on your local machine (right
click on the image and select "save image as")
2) use an image software to resize the images; retaining
proportion/contraints(Ifranview is a free and excellent tool)
3) Then insert the sized local images into your word doc
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

That's odd. I've never seen a picture I pasted into a table that *wasn't*
resized proportionally, and I'm not aware of any setting to change the default
one way or the other.

It would probably be better to follow the advice given by Don in another reply:
Do all your resizing and other graphics work in a graphics editor such as
IrfanView (www.irfanview.com) and paste only the finished pictures into Word.
IrfanView can resize an entire folder of pictures in one batch. Besides the
advantage in speed, you'll find that your Word files are smaller and easier to
handle. After all, Word is a word processor, not really a good graphics editor.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman