Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ianmeister Ianmeister is offline

Default New Section Numbers in Word 2007

Hi,

I am having problems with some of my new section numbers in my document.
For most of the new sections that I create, the page number will start with
the section number and the first page of the section such as 13-1 for section
13, page 1.

However, I have a few sections that aren't following this convention.
Instead, when I do a section break to create the new section, it continues
numbering from the last page of the last section. So, if I started section
17 from page 16-50, the first page of the new section is 17-51.

I can't figure out how to fix this. I have gone in Outline view, I have
used section breaks, page breaks, section continuous breaks. Nothing seems
to work.

Anyone have any ideas to fix this???

Thanks,
Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Ian

Ianmeister wrote:
I am having problems with some of my new section numbers in my document.
For most of the new sections that I create, the page number will start with
the section number and the first page of the section such as 13-1 for section
13, page 1.

aside from the fact that chapter page numbers are not really recommended
(no actual benefit unless you really plan to reprint only certain pages
-- hard to maintain in Word since it doesn't work page-oriented -- and
expect readers to swap them -- even harder to maintain since mostly,
they just won't do it :-) --; and make it actually harder for your
readers to find an entry), they are not too hard to get to work in Word.

However, I have a few sections that aren't following this convention.
Instead, when I do a section break to create the new section, it continues
numbering from the last page of the last section. So, if I started section
17 from page 16-50, the first page of the new section is 17-51.

To get page numbers like this, you have most likely at one point setup
the page numbers to include chapter numbers.

[The alternative is you have inserted something like the following into
your headers or footers: { SECTION }€“{ PAGE }]

If the (second) field doesn't show what you like, then (with the cursor
in this section), go to (Ribbon) Insert | Headers and Footers | Page
numbers | Format page numbers to correct it ("continue from previous
section" should be off in your case).

HTH
Robert
--