Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Martha Martha is offline

Default Display Negative Value as Positive

I'm trying to figure out how to bring a negative value over from Excel and
display as positive number in Word Mail Merge. I saw in one of the references
about formula ABS, but I get Syntax errors when I try to use it - I've tried
all possible spots - not clear where it goes in the following: {={MERGEFIELD
CURRENT_}\# $#,###.00 }.

thanks

Martha
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Use { = - { MERGEFIELD CURRENT _ } \# "$,0.00" }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert the field delimiters { }. You cannot enter
them using the keys on the keyboard that bear those symbols.

You use Alt+ F9 to toggle off the display of the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Martha" wrote in message
I'm trying to figure out how to bring a negative value over from Excel and
display as positive number in Word Mail Merge. I saw in one of the
references
about formula ABS, but I get Syntax errors when I try to use it - I've
tried
all possible spots - not clear where it goes in the following:
{={MERGEFIELD
CURRENT_}\# $#,###.00 }.

thanks

Martha

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Martha

You could use:
{=ABS({MERGEFIELD Current}) \# $,0.00}

But even simpler would be:
{MERGEFIELD Current \# $,0.00;$,0.00}

I note that the switch you're using is '$#,###.00 '. Do you realise this will pad out the field with spaces even when there are no
values? For example, 99 cents will be displayed as '$ .99'. At the very least, you might want '$#,##0.00 ', which would display
99 cents as '$ 0.99' and a nil value as '$ 0.00' instead of '$ .00'.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]