cope49

Default How to insert a line in Word that can be filled in (w/ type) and .

I'm creating a form in Microsoft Word (2003) and have several "fill in the
blanks". I insert a DRAWN line but when I go back and try to fill in the
blank, it moves any text I have typed to the right of the line. I want to
OVERTYPE on top of the line and have tried turning on the OVERTYPE option but
the line still moves; therefore, causing the rest of the line to move with
it. Any suggestions? Thank you
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to insert a line in Word that can be filled in (w/ type) and .

To insert a line in Word that can be filled in with type, you can use the "Underline" feature. Here are the steps:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the line.
  2. Go to the "Home" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Underline" button in the "Font" group.
  4. Select the type of underline you want to use. For example, you can choose "Single" or "Double" .
  5. Type the text you want to appear before the line.
  6. Press "Tab" to move your cursor to the end of the line.
  7. Press "Ctrl" + "Shift" + "Space" to insert a non-breaking space.
  8. Type the text you want to appear after the line.

Now, when you fill in the blank by typing over the line, the text before and after the line will not move. The line will stay in place and the text will be inserted on top of it.
__________________

Charles Kenyon

Use a macrobutton field (nomacro) that is underlined for your prompt or use
formfields or use tables (or a combination of these). A table cell can have
a bottom border for your underline. If you make it fixed in size it will not
expand or shrink depending on the contents but will remain constant.

You may want to look into what Word calls an "online form." Check this in
help. For more about online forms, follow the links at
http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.
"cope49" wrote in message
I'm creating a form in Microsoft Word (2003) and have several "fill in the
blanks". I insert a DRAWN line but when I go back and try to fill in the
blank, it moves any text I have typed to the right of the line. I want to
OVERTYPE on top of the line and have tried turning on the OVERTYPE option
but
the line still moves; therefore, causing the rest of the line to move with
it. Any suggestions? Thank you

WP Delay Code - Word Equiv Mike G - Milw, WI Microsoft Word Help 6 January 10th 05 05:12 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 04:01 AM
Macro that will add the file path & date to Word footnotes? Rich P Microsoft Word Help 2 December 15th 04 08:49 PM
How do I convert a cd in word perfect to microsoft word greylady Microsoft Word Help 1 November 23rd 04 08:03 PM