Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.office.misc
Paul Paul is offline

Default Paste multilevel bullets from Journal into Word as multilevel bullets

I amassed a gargantuan set of notes in the form a multilevel bullets,
distributed over a series of Journal entries. I would like to copy
and paste them into word. My plan is then to select all instances of
each bullet level and convert them into headings of the same level.
Then I'll be able to hierarchically navigate the mass of facts in
Outline View.

One problem. The bullets paste into a blank Word document as Normal
(plus whatever the font is). I tried to select all instances of that
style (e.g. say, when the cursor is on a level 3 bullet) so that I can
apply Heading 3 style, the menu indicates that there is only one
instance. Well, there are in fact "millions" of instances. I clicked
to select all 1 instances and (bafflingly) the whole mass of bullets
gets selected.

I tried to be sneaky and paste the bullets into an email composition
before copying and pasting to Word. Same result, though.

Is there any way to paste multilevel bullets from Journal entries into
Word while having them take on the Bullet style for their level? The
thought of doing this manually is unfathomable.

I am using Office 2003. This is a problem porting data between
applications in office, but I get the funny feeling that most of the
coaxing of desired functionality will take place on the Word side.