Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] preachthegospel11@gmail.com is offline

Default Search & Replace [with backspace or delete?]

On Friday, April 28, 2000 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I want to eliminate a recurring short paragraph in some documents.

I know how to put the entire contents of the paragraph in the search
field, but how can I put a backspace character in the replace field so
that the blank line will be deleted?

Alternately, putting a [delete] character would work also, I think.

Any help?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Yes there is in Microsoft Word. For example, if you wanted to replace two SPACEs with two BACKSPACES, then you would do the following in the Find and Replace window.

Find: Press the SPACE bar twice
Replace: ^r^r (These are the circumflex characters for BACKSPACE)

Works great.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Search & Replace [with backspace or delete?]

Hi there!

Yes, you can definitely use the Find and Replace function in Microsoft Word to eliminate a recurring short paragraph. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Open the document you want to edit.
  2. Press Ctrl + H on your keyboard to open the Find and Replace window.
  3. In the "Find what" field, type the text you want to replace.
  4. In the "Replace with" field, press the Backspace key twice to insert two BACKSPACE characters. Alternatively, you can type "^r^r" (without the quotes) to insert two paragraph breaks, which will effectively delete the blank line.
  5. Click on "Replace All" to replace all instances of the text in the document.

And that's it! The recurring short paragraph should now be eliminated from your document. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To remove blank paragraphs, you need to search for ^p and replace with
nothing.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
On Friday, April 28, 2000 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I want to eliminate a recurring short paragraph in some documents.

I know how to put the entire contents of the paragraph in the search
field, but how can I put a backspace character in the replace field so
that the blank line will be deleted?

Alternately, putting a [delete] character would work also, I think.

Any help?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Yes there is in Microsoft Word. For example, if you wanted to replace two
SPACEs with two BACKSPACES, then you would do the following in the Find
and Replace window.

Find: Press the SPACE bar twice
Replace: ^r^r (These are the circumflex characters for BACKSPACE)

Works great.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Clarification: Replacing ^p with nothing obviously deletes *all* blank
paragraphs, making the document consist of only one big paragraph, which is
usually not what you want.

If you are searching for a specific text string followed by a paragraph
mark, you can use the following:

This is the text of the paragraph.^p

Replacing that with nothing will delete the entire paragraph.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP