Carl Mercier

Default Problems merging many records on a single page

Hi guys,

I'm trying to do a simple merge from an Excel file in Word 2003 and it's
giving me headaches. The problem is that I need to merge 5 different
records per page (5 customers per page with their address and so on).

So, my Word document looks like this:

-START OF PAGE-
ADDRESS BLOCKNEXT RECORD
ADDRESS BLOCKNEXT RECORD
ADDRESS BLOCKNEXT RECORD
ADDRESS BLOCKNEXT RECORD
ADDRESS BLOCK
-END OF PAGE-

Word seems to go to the next record automatically on page breaks so I
omited the last one.

I get weird results however. Here's what I get (record IDs):

PAGE 1: 1,3,4,5,6
PAGE 2: 2,4,5,6,7
PAGE 3: 3,5,6,7,8

See the pattern? Something's wrong. Of course, I want record 1-5 on
page 1, 6-10 on page 2 and so on.

Anyone has an idea what could be causing the problem? Also, is there a
way to turn off "next record on page break"? I think that might be
causing the problem.

Thanks!

Carl
Doug Robbins

I would suggest that you use a Directory type mailmerge for which you need
only insert one set of MergeFields. If you locate them inside a one row,
one column table with the row height set to an exact value that will only
allow 5 rows to a page, you will get what you want when you execute the
merge. Turn off the table borders if you don't want them (Ctrl+Alt+U).

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP