Manya

Default How do I link documents?

I've prepared a Word document containing the most important data for my
client. I need this infromation to be repeted in several other Word documents
in special places. Using bookmarks I linked those, for example, 7 file so
that if I make any changes in the document containing the initial data, they
are reflected in the other 6 documents. Here is the problem I am not able to
solve. I want to use these 7 documents as a template for any other clients.
But when I try to use SaveAs all links are destroyed.
Please tell me, is it possible to do the above task using only MS Word and
how?
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWFueWE=?=,

I've prepared a Word document containing the most important data for my
client. I need this infromation to be repeted in several other Word documents
in special places. Using bookmarks I linked those, for example, 7 file so
that if I make any changes in the document containing the initial data, they
are reflected in the other 6 documents. Here is the problem I am not able to
solve. I want to use these 7 documents as a template for any other clients.
But when I try to use SaveAs all links are destroyed.

I'm a bit confused as to all the details, here. Also, you need to tell us which
version of word you have.

Can you be more specific as to what you mean by "all links are destroyed"? Are
you getting error messages, for example?

Also, to what file format are you saving? (Look at the dropdown in File/Save As:
does it say "Word document", "Word template", something else?)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Manya

Thanks for trying to help me.

Well, firstly I use Word 2003.

Let me try to explain my problem clearly. I'm creating a source document
containing texts I need to use in other documents. Using bookmarks I've
prepared those documents. The source and the linked documents I've saved as
Word Document. I've put them in one folder on the server. If I make a change
in the source document it is reflected in the other linked documents. What I
want to do more and I am not able to solve is to use the entire group of
documents as temlate for other cases. Should I save all these documents - the
source one and the linked as Word Template?

I've tried to use also Includetext field but I was not able to input the
texts from the source document. Maybe I'm making some mistake with gving the
paths.

Hi ?B?TWFueWE=?=,