Laura low-tech

Default Help, My Microsoft Word and Excel got accidentally deleted!

I just updated my Microsoft Office to the 2003 version. After updating, I
noticed that the MS Excel and MS Word icons disappeared from the desktop! I
have no idea why this is happening. I do know that my version of Word was
2000 and I have a Windows XP operating system. I can't remember what version
of Excel I originally had. What do I do to get these programs back? Is
there a way? And if not, what is the cheapest way of purchasing them if
that's what it amounts to.
I also did the search files and folders on my hard drive and they weren't
found there either.
Herb Tyson [MVP]

The icons on the desktop are just shortcuts for running the programs. The
programs themselves are stored elsewhere.

Click the Start button, then Programs (or All Program), and see if Microsoft
Office is listed. Word and Excel would be inside the Microsoft Office
folder. If they're there, then right-click Microsoft Office in the Programs
list, and choose Open. Once done, you can now copy the shortcuts for Word
and Excel to the to the desktop (or Quick Launch bar). Just make sure you
copy rather than move, so that you have a convenient fallback if they
accidentally get deleted again.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Laura low-tech" Laura wrote in message
I just updated my Microsoft Office to the 2003 version. After updating, I
noticed that the MS Excel and MS Word icons disappeared from the desktop!
have no idea why this is happening. I do know that my version of Word was
2000 and I have a Windows XP operating system. I can't remember what
version
of Excel I originally had. What do I do to get these programs back? Is
there a way? And if not, what is the cheapest way of purchasing them if
that's what it amounts to.
I also did the search files and folders on my hard drive and they weren't
found there either.

Herb Tyson [MVP]

Well... that's not good. Choose Start - Settings - Control Panel - Add or
Remove Programs - Microsoft Office 2003 - Change - Add or Remove Features -
Next - Choose Advanced Customization of Applications - Next. In the next
screen, see of Word and Excel appear with Xs next to them (indicating "Not
Available). If they do, then it does indeed look like they were removed or
otherwise not installed.

From this menu, assuming you have the Office 2003 CD or DVD, you should be
able to change the Xs to "Run..." or "Run all" to add Word and Excel.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

[...]

Amedee Van Gasse

In , Laura low-tech
told us an interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom
of this message.

I just updated my Microsoft Office to the 2003 version. After
updating, I noticed that the MS Excel and MS Word icons disappeared
from the desktop! I have no idea why this is happening. I do know
that my version of Word was 2000 and I have a Windows XP operating
system. I can't remember what version of Excel I originally had.
What do I do to get these programs back? Is there a way? And if
not, what is the cheapest way of purchasing them if that's what it
amounts to. I also did the search files and folders on my hard drive
and they weren't found there either.

Search for the files excel.exe and winword.exe.
They should be somewhere in "Program Files".
Do you have those?

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Donna

I have a somewhat similar situation. My step son took my operating disc that
has word and excel on it and can't seem to find the disc now. I was told that
I could get a free download of word and excel but they couldn't remember how.
Anyone got a solution to this one?

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Whoever told you that you could get a free download was incorrect. The
closest thing to that is a trial version. It is only a temporary fix. Once
it expires you either pay for it or you are locked out. There are A LOT of
posts from people who didn't believe that - but do now.

You have two choices. Have a chat with your stepson and get the disk back or
buy Office from your local software vendor.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

I hope that you can at least get your stepson back - and the disks would be
a nice addition.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]