Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sagara

Default Word wont open with shortcut key

I'm trying to cut down on mouse use, and use key strokes instead. I used to
be able to open Word with a shortcut key selected by right-clicking the Word
icon, selecting PROPERTIES/SHORTCUT KEY and entering a shortcut key sequence
in the SHORTCUT KEY window (e.g. CNTL+ALT+W). But this option no longer
works, despite my entering the correct address in the TARGET window
(C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE), and entering
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11" in the START IN window. This
has always worked in all the pre-2003 version of Word/Office.
Thanks,
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

It works fine here.
You cannot select 'None' in the shortcut window. Simply insert the cursor
after 'None' and press your key combination.

Sagara wrote:
I'm trying to cut down on mouse use, and use key strokes instead. I
used to be able to open Word with a shortcut key selected by
right-clicking the Word icon, selecting PROPERTIES/SHORTCUT KEY and
entering a shortcut key sequence in the SHORTCUT KEY window (e.g.
CNTL+ALT+W). But this option no longer works, despite my entering
the correct address in the TARGET window (C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE), and entering "C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11" in the START IN window. This has
always worked in all the pre-2003 version of Word/Office.
Thanks,
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sagara

My problem is that I placed my short-cut icon to Word in the Taskbar. If you
then right click the Word icon in the Taskbar, click PROPERTIES, etc. and
assign the shortcut key, it does not work (even after replacing the NONE with
the shortcut key). But I've just found accidentally that if I then assign a
shortcut key to the desktop and go through the same procedure, it works fine.
If I then delete the Desktop shortcut icon, just leaving the Taskbar icon,
then it does not work. Set up another shortcut to the Desktop, and it does
work. So there is a difference between a shortcut icon placed in the
taskbar, and one placed on the desktop. Some strange logic here!

Thanks,
Robert

Sagara wrote:
I'm trying to cut down on mouse use, and use key strokes instead. I
used to be able to open Word with a shortcut key selected by
right-clicking the Word icon, selecting PROPERTIES/SHORTCUT KEY and
entering a shortcut key sequence in the SHORTCUT KEY window (e.g.
CNTL+ALT+W). But this option no longer works, despite my entering
the correct address in the TARGET window (C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE), and entering "C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11" in the START IN window. This has
always worked in all the pre-2003 version of Word/Office.
Thanks,
Robert

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sagara

True, but this doesn't explain why the shortcut key does not work - it used
to work! Also, mouse clicks are mouse clicks; key presses are key presses.
Due to numb left hand thro mouse use, I'm looking for more key shortcut
options. But I suppose I can now just delete the Word icon from the Taskbar -
but it looks nice there!
Thanks,
Robert