Default Paragraph Font

Old March 25th 21, 10:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Edwina Oliver

Default Default Paragraph Font

On Thursday, December 13, 2001 at 5:02:49 PM UTC, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
By george, I think you've got it! Yes, DPF just means "absence of direct
formatting." This changes from one style to another, but the way it is
displayed in the Styles list never changes regardless of what the DPF for a
given paragraph actually is.
Microsoft Word MVP
Words into Type
Fairhope, AL USA
wrote in message
So, am I correct to assume that the "Default Paragraph Font" that is an
item in the Styles list is EXACTLY the same thing as the "font of the
underlying paragraph" that is specified as the basis of several of the
character fonts? That is when one changes so does the other?

My whole intent here is to inderstand how the inheritance works at a
detailed level. I am a programmer, and have trouble working with an
application when I can't work out the logic of the interface.

I want to be able to setup the styles the way I want, such that I can
change the font (and only the font) of a base style, and have ALL styles
change to use this font, but keep any size/indent/colour/whatever
overrides applied in the style. That is for both Paragraph and Character
fonts.

As far as I can tell, doing what Suzanne suggested in her first response
seems to do what I want. The only "problem" is the fact that Word doesn't
display the result correctly. I still don't get why it should display TNR
regardless of the actual setting. Any ideas? Or is there a statement by MS
somewhere that this behaviour is by design?

Thanks
Gordon

I hate times roman and want to obliterate it and having it show up in DPF no matter what.
I want the DPF to show up as arial narrow 18. I somehow did manage to change the font and wording once (not at same time) but I lost it and want to fix it permanently.