Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Boots

Default Using if

Hi,
In my merge I have a field "ETHNICITY". This is a number at the minute.
ie 01, 02 etc. I would like to show the Name of the ETHNICITY rather than
the code. How could I do this?
I have 17 codes.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Hi Boots,

I'd recommend adding a column to your data source to represent what those 17
codes mean. Otherwise, you're going to need 17 IF fields in your mailmerge
document, each coded along the lines of:
{IF{MAILMERGE ETHNICITY}= 1 "Yankee"}
where the field braces (i.e. '{ }') are created in pairs via Ctrl-F9. You
could get away with 16 nested IF fields, but 17 independent ones make more
sense in this case (easier to follow/debug).

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Boots" wrote in message
Hi,
In my merge I have a field "ETHNICITY". This is a number at the

minute.
ie 01, 02 etc. I would like to show the Name of the ETHNICITY rather than
the code. How could I do this?
I have 17 codes.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Note that the 17 conditional fields all go on the same line (allowing Word
to wrap) with no spaces between them.