MSNetPassIsEvil

Default Stop Visio and Word 2002 adding shortcuts to c:

Recently did an editing job, got Word docs from client on floppy. Floppy
also included shortcuts to docs, and what appeared to be shortcuts to folders
and hard drive on my client's machine.

Since working on those doc, my Word 2002 and Visio 2002 applications have
been placing shortcuts to all docs and folders I work on in the C: drive root
folder. These are visible when opening/exploring C: via "My computer".

Anyone know what's happening, why, and/or how to stop it?