Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
L. L. is offline

Default mail merge cannot open

Word(office) 2k, winxp.

Followed instructions @
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm
and converted one of 7 pages as a test. It worked fine.
Went ahead and coverted other 6 pages and started to merge and now I get
following error msg.
"Word cannot open main labels.doc as a data or header source because it is a
mail merge main doc."

Saved table with 4 column headers, see below for example.

First Name
Last Name
Address
City, State, Zip

xxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx
232 xxxxxx Dr.
xxxxxx, MO xxxxx

xxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
2400 xxxx Dr.
xxxxxxxxxx, IL xxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
60 xxxxxxxxxxxxx Dr.
xxxxxx, CA xxxxx

xxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
3 xxxxxxxxx Dr.
xxxxxxxxxx, CA xxxxxx

Mr. & Mrs. xxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
20 xxxxxxxxxxx Ave.
xxxxxxxx, TX xxxxxx

xxxx
xxxxxxxxx
4021 xxxxxxxx Dr.
xxxxxxx, MO xxxxxx

Not sure what I have done wrong.

L.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Your data shown below is not in the format required as a data source. You
need a table with the headings in the first row and the appropriate data
below with one row per record - which is explained in the link you referred
to.

L. wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
L... L... is offline

Sorry 'bout that, I copied/pasted the table and it didn't format here
correctly.
This is how it looks.

First Name Last Name Address City,
State, Zip
Mr. & Mrs.xxxx Jenkins 20 Elm St Anywhere,
Tx, 12345
etc. etc. etc.
etc.

Strange thing is I copied and pasted the 4 columns into a Excel spread sheet
and then back to Word and it works.

L.