Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
L. L. is offline

Default spacing ???

This may have been ask before but need answer stat. My wife is pulling her
hair.

She made an outline for a small booklet using roman numerals. She is trying
to change the outline and insert a new line without a number. Can't get it
to take without number added and tab spacing.
example:

Chapter 1.
I. start
II. review
III. sample (**)
IV. title
V. end

She needs to insert "Chapter II" between III. & IV and redo numbering.

When she types Chapter II (**) and hits "enter", Chapter II is not spaced to
far left and number are added and others are moved down.

Hope this explains what the problem is.
Know this is quick and dirty but she's at a standstill.

thanks,

L.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson Tom Ferguson is offline

There are various ways to do that.

With non-printing characters showing, navigate to the end of the line
just before you want to insert the new material. Copy the pilcrow (or
alinea) and then paste it. Next, assure that the cursor is positioned to
the immediate left of the marker, type the new text.

It's a method that falls under the description of "quick and dirty" but
its quick if you don't have to make to many such adjustments.

One alternative is to remove the outline formatting, type the new
material and then re-apply the formatting.

Others might have better suggestions. I'm not among the most efficient
or proficient Word users.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"L." wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I don't understand what your wife is doing. Does she want Chapter 2 (not II)
and for the numbering of the outline following it to restart? Or does she
want Chapter 2 (not II) and for the roman numbering to continue? Or does she
want an unnumbered paragraph (not a chapter number at all) between II and
III? Or what?

"L." wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson Tom Ferguson is offline

Upon re-reading, I think I misunderstood the formatting your wife
wanted. The method I suggested will cause the new entry to have the same
formatting as the sub-heads in your illustration. Now, I think you want
the new text to be formatted just as Chapter l is in your example text.
For that, copy the pilcrow from the first paragraph.

"L." wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
L. L. is offline

Sorry for the confusion and also the help.

After getting a cup of coffee and 'settling" down, , she/we got into help
menu and figured it out. We also learned about using "Format - Bullets and
Numbering--" to set up a design she wanted.

again thanks,

L.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I don't understand what your wife is doing. Does she want Chapter 2 (not
II)
and for the numbering of the outline following it to restart? Or does she
want Chapter 2 (not II) and for the roman numbering to continue? Or does
she
want an unnumbered paragraph (not a chapter number at all) between II and
III? Or what?

so
all may benefit.

"L." wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Instead of applying numbering directly, if she is really trying to set up an
outline-numbering scheme, direct her to
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html and tell her
to follow it carefully.

"L." wrote in message
Sorry for the confusion and also the help.

After getting a cup of coffee and 'settling" down, , she/we got into

help
menu and figured it out. We also learned about using "Format - Bullets and
Numbering--" to set up a design she wanted.

again thanks,

L.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I don't understand what your wife is doing. Does she want Chapter 2 (not
II)
and for the numbering of the outline following it to restart? Or does

she
want Chapter 2 (not II) and for the roman numbering to continue? Or does
she
want an unnumbered paragraph (not a chapter number at all) between II

and
III? Or what?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

spacing Dean New Users 8 March 7th 07 11:05 AM
My document is double spacing but paragrah spacing is set at singl Double Spacing Microsoft Word Help 2 October 9th 06 07:35 PM
Spacing jumps approx 8 lines even though spacing is set on "single Jessica Microsoft Word Help 1 August 22nd 06 06:29 PM
Spacing Darlene Microsoft Word Help 1 January 17th 06 06:47 PM
Why my line spacing is wider than everyone else (line spacing)? Melody Koh Microsoft Word Help 6 September 13th 05 11:12 PM