Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bufossil bufossil is offline

Default Need Total Page Count to Ignore Front Matter Pages

I am using Word 2003 SP2 and Windows XP SP2.

I have a client who can't grasp the concept that the total page count
includes the front matter. All the client sees is that the very last page of
the printed document says, "Page 152 of 157." The client says, "This
document is missing 5 pages."

Is there a way to have the Number of Pages tool in Word ignore the page
count in the Front Matter? The document has several sections, so it must
count all sections except the first one.

For now I am using a Field Code with the formula { = { NUMPAGES }-5 }, but
that approach is risky because the page count in the front matter might
eventually change.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tim Munyon
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

There's a slightly less risky method:

- Insert a bookmark on the last page of the frontmatter. Let's say you name
it FMLast.

- In the page numbering, use the field

{ = { NUMPAGES } - { PAGEREF FMLast } }

The PAGEREF field's result is the page number where the bookmark occurs, so
as long as that's always the last page of the frontmatter section, the
calculation will work correctly.

The risk is that editing in the frontmatter section might either delete the
bookmark or add more material after it so it's no longer on the last page.
To minimize this risk, check Tools Options View Bookmarks during any
editing so you can see the bookmark. If the bookmark is deleted, the page
numbers will all say "!Syntax Error, !"

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

bufossil wrote:
I am using Word 2003 SP2 and Windows XP SP2.

I have a client who can't grasp the concept that the total page count
includes the front matter. All the client sees is that the very last
page of the printed document says, "Page 152 of 157." The client
says, "This document is missing 5 pages."

Is there a way to have the Number of Pages tool in Word ignore the
page count in the Front Matter? The document has several sections,
so it must count all sections except the first one.

For now I am using a Field Code with the formula { = { NUMPAGES }-5
}, but that approach is risky because the page count in the front
matter might eventually change.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tim Munyon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

You can also put a bookmark on the last page of the document, then refer to
its page number. If I named that bookmark LastPage, the x-ref would look like
this:

{ PAGEREF LastPage \* Mergeformat }

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
H.P.Hoeie, Norway H.P.Hoeie, Norway is offline

I've just had the pleasure of using the solutions presented. Still I've one
more question:
I have placed 2 section breaks in my document.
- the first one enables arabic numbering starting on the page following the
section break. and roman numbering on preliminary pages.
- the last one is used for numbering appendixes with "A", "B" and so forth.

Is it possible to employ "Page x of y"-format where the fields refer only to
the pages within the 2nd section? That is - without employing bookmarks for
numbering?

Yours sincerly

bufossil wrote:
I am using Word 2003 SP2 and Windows XP SP2.

I have a client who can't grasp the concept that the total page count
includes the front matter. All the client sees is that the very last
page of the printed document says, "Page 152 of 157." The client
says, "This document is missing 5 pages."

Is there a way to have the Number of Pages tool in Word ignore the
page count in the Front Matter? The document has several sections,
so it must count all sections except the first one.

For now I am using a Field Code with the formula { = { NUMPAGES }-5
}, but that approach is risky because the page count in the front
matter might eventually change.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tim Munyon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a Sectionpages field in place of the Numpages field to report the number
of pages in the section. ie
Page {Page} of {Sectionpages}
If you want {Page} to reflect first page of the section as 1 then restart
the numbering for that section. You can do this easily from the
header/footer toolbar.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

There's a slightly less risky method:

- Insert a bookmark on the last page of the frontmatter. Let's say
you name it FMLast.

- In the page numbering, use the field

{ = { NUMPAGES } - { PAGEREF FMLast } }

The PAGEREF field's result is the page number where the bookmark
occurs, so as long as that's always the last page of the
frontmatter section, the calculation will work correctly.

The risk is that editing in the frontmatter section might either
delete the bookmark or add more material after it so it's no longer
on the last page. To minimize this risk, check Tools Options
View Bookmarks during any editing so you can see the bookmark. If
the bookmark is deleted, the page numbers will all say "!Syntax
Error, !"

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

bufossil wrote:
I am using Word 2003 SP2 and Windows XP SP2.

I have a client who can't grasp the concept that the total page
count includes the front matter. All the client sees is that the
very last page of the printed document says, "Page 152 of 157."
The client says, "This document is missing 5 pages."

Is there a way to have the Number of Pages tool in Word ignore the
page count in the Front Matter? The document has several sections,
so it must count all sections except the first one.

For now I am using a Field Code with the formula { = { NUMPAGES }-5
}, but that approach is risky because the page count in the front
matter might eventually change.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Tim Munyon

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
H.P.Hoeie, Norway H.P.Hoeie, Norway is offline

You came up with the perfect answer!
I found the field on the field list when knowing what to look for.
Than You!
HP