Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fabian Fabian is offline

Default English indexes in English documents using German Word 2007

Hi,

is it possible to insert English indexes in the German Version of Word 2007?

Greets, Fabian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Fabian

Fabian wrote:
is it possible to insert English indexes in the German Version of Word 2007?

what's the difference between an English and a German index?

0.2¢
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fabian Fabian is offline

It's basically the title being German. I can change that, of course, but
somehow I am afraid that I could miss something else or that refreshing the
index turns it back (ok, in this case it does not).

Anyway it would not be the first time that I accidently put German text in
English documents via automatic functions, thus I would be glad if I could
just switch the program to inserting English fields/indexes and the like.

Greets, Fabian

p.s.: switching the standard editing language does not help.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello Fabian

Fabian wrote:
is it possible to insert English indexes in the German Version of Word 2007?

what's the difference between an English and a German index?

0.2¢
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hallo Fabian

Fabian wrote:
It's basically the title being German. I can change that, of course, but
somehow I am afraid that I could miss something else or that refreshing the
index turns it back (ok, in this case it does not).

Just to make sure we're talking about the same featu You insert an
index through Reference | Index | Insert Index.

The following dialog has indeed a language dropdown, and depending on
what you select there, the resulting INDEX field gets a different
identifier in its \z switch.

[I reckon you can insert an index for any language you have installed.
The resulting \z switch for English (US) is "1033"; for German (Germany)
it is "1031"; for German (Switzerland) it's "2055".]

But I haven't really found out what the difference is in switching this
language setting -- if there's any, it's not obvious, at least in
western languages.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fabian Fabian is offline

With indices I mean things like a table of contents or the used literature.
But actually I have the same problem with almost any kind of automated text
fields like the date. In some cases it works though. Captions are
automatically English in English documets, and the Index thing you described
is indeed customizable.

edit: somehow the automated text fields are in English now. Weired.
Yesterday I still had that problem.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hallo Fabian

Fabian wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Presumably you'll see a difference in alphabetical order in Catalan,
Spanish, and some Scandinavian languages.

On Nov 3, 6:04*am, "Robert M. Franz (RMF)"
wrote:
Hallo Fabian

Fabian wrote:
It's basically the title being German. I can change that, of course, but
somehow I am afraid that I could miss something else or that refreshing the
index turns it back (ok, in this case it does not).

Just to make sure we're talking about the same featu You insert an
index through Reference | Index | Insert Index.

The following dialog has indeed a language dropdown, and depending on
what you select there, the resulting INDEX field gets a different
identifier in its \z switch.

[I reckon you can insert an index for any language you have installed.
The resulting \z switch for English (US) is "1033"; for German (Germany)
it is "1031"; for German (Switzerland) it's "2055".]

But I haven't really found out what the difference is in switching this
language setting -- if there's any, it's not obvious, at least in
western languages.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ah -- those are not called "indexes" in Word. But they will siimply
gather the text that you already have in your headings and in your
bibliography entries, so I wonder what difference the language setting
would make.

On Nov 3, 6:41*am, Fabian wrote:
With indices I mean things like a table of contents or the used literature.
But actually I have the same problem with almost any kind of automated text
fields like the date. In some cases it works though. Captions are
automatically English in English documets, and the Index thing you described
is indeed customizable.

edit: somehow the automated text fields are in English now. Weired.
Yesterday I still had that problem.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hallo Fabian

Fabian wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Fabian wrote:
With indices I mean things like a table of contents or the used literature.

I see -- well, no wonder we weren't on the same line then. :-)

As for a table of contents, I agree with Grammatim: it only pulls
together your headings, so there isn't anything Word might change based
on language. Possibly there are QuickParts containing a heading already,
and that might be in English or German. If you know what you're doing,
it's probably safer to insert a TOC directly without any QuickParts.

But actually I have the same problem with almost any kind of automated text
fields like the date. In some cases it works though. Captions are
automatically English in English documets, and the Index thing you described
is indeed customizable.

ISTR that date fields pick up the language of the position where they're
inserted. To be on the safe side, better force them to a specific
language/format with a formatting switch.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |