Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tharris tharris is offline

Default Captions changing from Figure to Table

I am working on a 200-odd page document with many Figures and Tables which
are captioned and cross-referenced. Someone else has just opened the
document to make some changes and all the Tables captions have changed to
Figure. This has happened before when she has worked on previous reports and
I'm wondering what on earth she can be doing?
--
THarris
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm guessing the user is trying to change *one* caption from figure to table
and that she is *selecting* a figure caption and then inserting a table
caption via the Caption dialog box. Word then replaces all figure captions
with table captions. The proper way to change a single caption is to delete
it and then reinsert the desired type of caption.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"THarris" wrote in message
I am working on a 200-odd page document with many Figures and Tables which
are captioned and cross-referenced. Someone else has just opened the
document to make some changes and all the Tables captions have changed to
Figure. This has happened before when she has worked on previous reports
and
I'm wondering what on earth she can be doing?
--
THarris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
P B Lim P B Lim is offline

Dear Stefan,

Many thanks for this informative response. You have told us why this
happens, but can you please advise how to reverse this situation (ie changing
back to original figures and tables) - or does this have to be done with each
individual caption. I am also working on a 300 page documents with 50
figures and 30 tables, and it would be v time consuming to do so.

Many thanks.

P B Lim
--

"THarris" wrote in message
I am working on a 200-odd page document with many Figures and Tables which
are captioned and cross-referenced. Someone else has just opened the
document to make some changes and all the Tables captions have changed to
Figure. This has happened before when she has worked on previous reports
and
I'm wondering what on earth she can be doing?
--
THarris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Recreating the correct captions would be a manual task, I'm afraid.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP